Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, just bought my first Focus SVT, all the information on here was a big help when making a decision on the car, so thanks!

It's a 2002 Silver on Red with 170,000km on the clock and it seems awesome to drive, I used to have a Puma back in the UK and wanted to get back in a Ford.

I have a few questions/things I want to sort out so was looking for some advice.

1. Where can I pick up a stock airbox, there's an aftermarket CAI in it at the moment and whilst it sounds wicked it might not be the most practical for winter up here in Whistler.

2. How do I go about getting a new key cut, I have 2 fobs but only #1 key

3. Anyone have any issues with electric windows. My drivers side does not like going up.

4. Locking wheel nut key, is there a number or code for the type? Buddy I bought it off had lost it and I need to get some winter tyres on ASAP.

Sorry for 21 questions, thanks again and here's a picture:

[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
[welcome] to FF, JackBro. You may well find a stock airbox in the BST section here, or on FJ. You can also post a "want to buy" in those sections.
You can get a key cut anywhere, but you will need a Ford blank with the PATS chip. They are often available on E-Bay, or, of course, at your local Ford dealer. Also try http://villageford.com/ one of the sponsors here. I have no experience with recalcitrant power windows, but I'm certain someone here will chime in eventually. As for a lug nut key, I believe those are specific to each manufacturer, so who ever made the lug nuts will likely be your only source for a new key.
I feel obliged, at this point, to bring your attention to the absolute necessity to change your timing belt assembly on a regular basis. Ford recommends 100,000 mile (160,000 km) intervals, many of us do it more frequently, especially if the car gets limited annual mileage. The reason for this being that the SVT motor is an "interference" motor, and when the timing belt breaks or slips, valves and pistons collide catastrophically, so if yours hasn't been done recently, please do. If you already know all of this, I'm sure you have checked with the previous owner about the car's service history. Good luck, and enjoy your new SVTF.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Timing belt was done 10k ago which is sweet, thanks for the heads up though.

Wheels nuts might be a write off in favour of a new set

·
Registered
211 Posts
Most super stores, ie. Walmart, Cost Co, and Sams Club will be able to cut a key for you, they have the transponders in stock. Otherwise some small auto companies are now getting into that as well, and for much less than what a dealer will cost.

·
Registered
291 Posts
With only one key, a trip to the dealer is the only way to add a new key.
Once you have two keys, you can add them yourself.

·
Registered
211 Posts
With only one key, a trip to the dealer is the only way to add a new key.
Once you have two keys, you can add them yourself.
Thats only if you go to a dealer to get a new one cut. What i mentioned above, only requires a single key.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
To add a chipped key requires programming the car's computer to recognize the new one. IF you have two existing keys, there is a sequence possible to add keys yourself. It's setup so a single key can't add another so a loaned car/key can't have another easily made.

The only other way I've seen mentioned involves a "cloned" key that duplicates the chip of an existing key. Only problem is the ones I've seen mentioned are all "active" computers themselves with a battery that eventually goes dead making the key not work to start the car. Useful IF you have a backup handy or for short term use.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ditch the CAI, the factory unit is more than sufficient. Check with Speedway Recyclers, if Matt doesn't have one he can get you one. And you can hock that ricer accessory CAI off on someone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts