Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, flame me if you must but I did a search and after going through about 8 pages of posts I never did come across the answer to my question:

I have a ZX5 and recently purchased some SVT mirrors. The mirrors are the gloss black however I want to paint the insert to match the body color of my car. How do you get the inserts off ? I have looked at these things every which to Sunday and for the life of me cannot figure it out. Looks like there are some clips on the inside of the mirror but when I mess with those nothing changes. Anyone remove their inserts and if so how? I don't want to pry on them and mess them up. [?|]

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, well I managed to get them off...whew. I am going to try and attach some pictures for those who may be thinking of doing the same. Start out by adjusting the actual mirror so that the opening between the mirror and the housing at the outer edge is as wide as possible. Next, if you look inside behind the mirror in the lower corner you will see a little hook like tab, that's one of the tabs for the insert. Now try as I might I could not manage to get that tab to lift up enough to unhook and push the insert out. On the first mirror as I was making my attempt the tab broke! As a result I then took a long slender screwdriver inserted into the opening of the now broken tab and gently pushed...the insert popped right off! As it turns out and as you can see from the pictures there are actually 3 hooks (minus the one I broke off) at the bottom of the insert and 4 tabs at the top. As a test and to see what effect the broken tab had on the insert staying on and before moving on to mirror #2 I popped the insert back on the mirror...the insert was solid, didn't wiggle or anything so my conclusion is that the broken tab had no effect after all there are 7 others holding it on. I went on to mirror two and at first I tried to do the right thing and get the tab to lift up and push out but quickly gave up and decided to break the tab off as had happened with the first one. Broke the tab off, inserted the screwdriver, gently pushed and voila!.. once again the second insert popped right off. Now this may seem a bit drastic breaking tabs and all but it worked for me. ..you just have to work everything gentle without appling too much force.

Painting here I come!

Attachments

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
lol. all that work just to paint some mirrors... but the end result will be well worth all the effort [thumb] great job

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It really wasn't all that much work and in fact less than 10 minutes...lol, it took me longer to take and post pictures with directions. Any way thanks for all the replies and the link W~Phoenix~{RC}...I believe that was for non-SVT Mirrors but I appreciate the effort.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts