Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving home today, came to a red stoplight. While I'm waiting for it to turn green, my CEL comes on, turns off, then my TC light comes on and a noticably loud buzzing sound starts, the pitch of which goes up and down relative to rpms (car was stopped, i was slightly revving the engine in neutral just to see what the buzzing did).

Immediately after, I turn off the headlights and shut the car down and pull the key out of the ignition. The scary part is, even after I pull the key out, all the warning lights on my dash (and I mean ALL the lights) were illuminated, very dimly, not full blast. My red flasher light (the one beside the hazard light button) is blinking away like crazy, very fast intervals not like regular at all.

At this point I wait a few seconds and try to start up my car again, which does not work at all. Engine doesn't even try to turn over, and i tried this 3-4 times without success. Dimly lit dash lights still on. I try to turn on the hazards but that doesn't work either. Nothing works. Nothing. I get out of the car to direct traffic around my car (the light had turned green at this point). After maybe 30 secs of traffic directing I get back in, and the red flasher light is flashing normally! Turn the key, car starts up no problem. The problem had reset my stereo head unit and the cd changer loaded up all 6 cds.

Drive a kilometer and the CEL comes on again, followed by the TC symbol, same as before. This time, no buzzing sound, but my dash completely shuts itself off, as well as the headlights, for a second or two, then come back on. No cd changer loading this time but I'm swearing my head off. After the headlights came on they were on highbeam except the blue highbeam icon wasnt on. I turned the highbeams off and the icon turns on. cool.

Got home 5 mins later no more problems. Obviously this is an electrical problem, but where do I start, considering the only time its diagnosable is when it's acting up, and the car runs like shit when its acting up and I would probably only hurt it by driving it. Could it be the grounds are FUBAR'd?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I'm going to guess a loose connection at the alternator, or corrosion.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts