Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, a while back I was debating whether or not to keep my JRSC BBK on my SVT or go with a more powerful supercharger. At that time my car dyno'd at 211whp and 170tq (keep in mind that is around 5500ft altitude and it was 88degrees). Since then I got a new tune and my car runs amazing and the A/F goes down to 11.4 Not sure what the new #'s are but the butt dyno feels way better. But like everyone says, boost is addicting and I want more. So I decided to order a bunch of parts to give me more power and still run safe at the same time. I ended up ordering the CFM 5.7" Overdrive pulley and a Snow Performance Stage 2 Boost Cooler with the MAF Variable Controller to help keep the IAT down. I also have a Jet Hot Coated SVT header and a VIS Invader Carbon Fiber Hood on the way to help lower the under hood temps as well.

With this setup and a safe tune, do you all think that my car will continue to run trouble free and give me more power at the same time? Or is there anything else that I should get?

At the moment I have these parts added to my engine and I'm waiting to receive ^^^ those parts:

JRSC+BBK w/SCT X-Cal 2 Custom Tune
HIA SRI & Resonated Street Exhaust
RT ORP
FC TB
MSD Ignition Coil & Wires
Denso Iridium Spark Plugs
VF Engineering Rear Engine Mount
Clutch Masters St. 3 Clutch
Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel

·
Banned
9,238 Posts
You'll be in the same neighborhood of boost as me when I blew my motor in 3 days. The WMI will hopefully keep yours safe. I would recommend tapping the manifold and installing a new IAT.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought about the J&S but I think that might be a little too complicated for me. Do you guys think that my car will be okay with the Water/Methanol Injection and the rest of the stuff I listed to help keep the temerature down. The main problem with running the Overdrive pulley would be the increased heat and the engine would need to receive more fuel sooner right? So with a proper tune my car should run fine. Or should I not risk it?

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
water meth injection should not be tuned for it should be just an emergency reserve for racing or having fun. IF fo some reason you were to tune for water meth and your pump broke or your reserve ran out you are sol. I would recommend a procharger or powerworks intercooled kit with water meth injection, and intercooler sprayer controlled by a secondary iat.
Take tom's advice that is stickied about watermeth do not tune for it use it as an emergency backup that is not affected by your tune. If you want to change to procharger or a powerworks supercharger, make sure to dyno-tune do not use the shitty tune they send you as it will most likely blow your engine. when dyno tuning do not activate or use water meth or any intercooler sprayer, this will only put your engine at risk. do consider the J&S even if you must pay some one to install it for you, any little safeguard is well worth the pain and trouble of rebuilding or buying a new engine.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, about the Water/Meth Injection. I will be using it just for safety and I will not be tuning for extra power with it. I will just get a new tune based on adding the Overdrive Pulley. I already went through the whole sell my JRSC and buy a different type of FI, but in the end I decided to stick with it and get as much safe power from it as I can. I will definately look more into the J&S Safeguard. As well as a EGT/Pyrometer Gauge to keep an eye on what is going on. I already have a Wideband A/F Gauge installed.

Is there anyone who has used the JRSC with the Ford BBK and the 5.7" Pulley on their SVT?

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Sounds like you may be playing with fire. Look what happened to frush when uped the boost. If you really want more power, it may be a better bet to go with a different S/C or even a turbo.

·
Banned
9,238 Posts
He'll be fine as long as he relocates the IAT and uses the WMI.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
WMI is only a band aid... it should not be depended on.

definitly do a J&S.... as much heat as your gonna make you'll NEED it.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
relocate the IAT before you up the boost. that is a must.

the WMI is added protection on top of everything else.

·
Banned
9,238 Posts

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Two things, Was the tune done on a dyno, or was it a mail order tune...If mail order, find a dyno and make sure its right.

Second, are you willing to play, in other words, if it comes apart, will you look at it as an opertunity to build a better faster car while driving your other car??? Or, will you be heart-broken and walking... Its never fun to blow a motor, but that is how I would ( and do ) look at it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The tune that I have now is from dyno tuning. I haven't put on the Overdrive pulley yet. I am going to put on the Jet Hot Coated header, VIS Invader Hood, and hook up the W/M Injection before I mess with the Overdrive Pulley. This is my only vehicle so maybe I shouldn't play with fire but the thought of more boost is nice....

I want to drive to the dyno place--after I put on everything except the pulley-- do a initial dyno run. Then change out the pulley and tune it from there while monitoring all the engine vitals and see if it can run safely with a conservative tune.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The 5.7 odp only adds 1.5-2lbs boost. You'll be fine on a good dyno tune. As far as "Over spinning" it, as long as you up the cooling factors you should be fine. I don't know the specs for a Jackson Racing S/C, but the eaton in the Lightning can be spun up to 16lbs boost befor over spinning. But you ned to keep the iat's as low as you can. More heat = less whp. That's why a KB at 12lb makes more power then a Eaton at 16lbs. The iat's are both the same, but the KB can flow much more air at less boost.

·
Registered
582 Posts
HalfTime said:
The 5.7 odp only adds 1.5-2lbs boost. You'll be fine on a good dyno tune. As far as "Over spinning" it, as long as you up the cooling factors you should be fine. I don't know the specs for a Jackson Racing S/C, but the eaton in the Lightning can be spun up to 16lbs boost befor over spinning. But you ned to keep the iat's as low as you can. More heat = less whp. That's why a KB at 12lb makes more power then a Eaton at 16lbs. The iat's are both the same, but the KB can flow much more air at less boost.
Overspinning an Eaton will not yield any more power, even if the cooling is there. The Lightning Eaton is MUCH larger than a M62. 03-04 Cobras have a M112. A KB is also twin screw as to where an Eaton is roots. The reason it makes more power at the same boost levels is because of temperature, but efficiency as well.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Im not sure about the M62, but the M45 for the Zetec could only be spun to 16500 rpm's safely, any more and you could damage the blower.

I am not sure about the M62, but will be finding out when I put my overdrive pulley and smaller SC pulley on, with my PW kit.

·
Registered
210 Posts
2.0TooSlow said:
Overspinning an Eaton will not yield any more power, even if the cooling is there. The Lightning Eaton is MUCH larger than a M62. 03-04 Cobras have a M112. A KB is also twin screw as to where an Eaton is roots. The reason it makes more power at the same boost levels is because of temperature, but efficiency as well.
Are you agreeing with my or not? With what you typed I'd say you are, but your tine seams like you not. I was not saying overspinning will yeild more power, I just said that I'm sure that the lower pulley will not over spin it. I did bring up the fact that with more boost, he needs to keep thing cool, or it will not make anymore power. And as fas as the KBs go, I didn't get into detail because he was asking about a Focus. I was only trying to instil the fact that it's not the amount of boost you have, it's the amount of air you can push, and the temp on that air.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
...Well...My contribution is IF you do go meth injection ...LIKE I DID, spray AFTER the TPS or you will short it out....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts