Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have took my car into the shop, it has 80,000 km's on it, I have changed the plugs to champion plugs, they have a platinum core, but they are gapped to .060 they should be fine... The plug wires are getting changed today, the check engine light came on for the front o2 sensor and the rear suspension is now bottoming out. I also have to replace the fuel filter, things are just adding up on this car, everything is getting fixed today and hopefully the car is running primo so I do not have to fight with it anymore. I also have to wait until the spring to change the CV Boot and the front passenger side axle seal is leaking a tiny bit. It also has slightly slightly warped rotors on the back that make a horrible brake creaking.

Just a few upkeep questions.

How often should I change the oil in these cars, 3000k or 5000k, and does full synthetic honestly make a big difference? It did not in my old focus, just wondering about these engines.

When does the transmission fluid need to be swapped, and what kind?

How strong are the clutches in these cars, I have read that the pressure plate is no good and it causes big time clutch problems, the clutch has been replaced in this one already, and it still is very strong, I am still kind of worried though, what are some clutch wearing signs?

Gas, right now I am running 89 octane gas which is considered "mid-grade" up here in Canada, I can get my hand on the highest 91, it is more expensive, does this make a big difference, a few people are saying on these cars it does make a difference, what do you guys think?

What other upkeep should a person be doing to these cars to keep them in perfect perfect shape?

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
Change the oil at 5k if you are running synthetic

Run 91, your doing harm to your car running 89.

As long as your clutch feels good your fine don;t worry about out it lol

I know how you feel mine has little stuff go wrong with it too. Good luck

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
dont use champion plugs they are shitty!

use the oem ones!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
yeah man, use synthetic on it, 5 k its about right, and use ONLY 91 or higher... you want your car running primo, read the owners manual and follow instructions...!!!

·
Registered
426 Posts
his info says he just has a ZX3, so 89 is fine

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
You can go as far as 7500 miles if you're running a full synthetic oil. You can almost guarantee only two oil changes a year under regular driving conditions.

PM me if you have any other questions.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
tuna, you need to change your car description. this stops the confusion and lets us lend you better and more accurate advise. thanks[thumb]

·
Obama Can't Gymkhana
8,569 Posts
I change my Oil at 7K..

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
7k which i am just about there.. 93-or 94 for me

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
Do you have an SVT now that you are referring to? Otherwise you're in the wrong forums.

I change my oil with Royal Purple synthetic every 5k miles as well as the filter. I also swapped to RP Synchromax for the tranny when I switched out my clutch/flywheel at about 75k miles. I filled up with 89 octane a few times back when gas was creeping up around and over $5 a gallon and I never noticed any difference in gas millage or performance. The clutch is strong but don't be riding it too much and dropping it from like 5kRPMs all the time or not at all. Did you get the newer TSB clutch? It's 7/16" bigger in size. Also the Flywheel was updated as the original is what was more crap over the clutch.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks faster than u, I have updated the stupid side status thing so you all know i have an SVT now.

Any who turns out the coil pack was completely shot in it, so 618 bucks later... (that includes the 02 sensor) the car is running fine, I am still having a few tiny misfires here and there, and a little bit of a light flicker, but I am almost positive my battery is so screwed, and the misfires are probably due to the fact that the car computer was reset, might smoothen out, if not stock ford svt plugs are going in, and is it really that big of a difference if you gap the plugs?

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
Change out those plugs, champion plugs suck!

I had them in my old svt and it ran like shit and one plug failed so I was only running on 3 cylinders!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So even after changing the coil packs yesterday for 618 dollars and the 02 sensor, it is still running poorly and back firing, SO! it is yet again back in the shop because I dont have time deal with it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, just got the car back from the shop today, needed new plugs, (champion ones are the sucks!) and also the fuel filter was bad (original from when it was bought car has 80,000 km's on it!!)

Anyway to upkeep these things, a final list would be sweet.

Premium Gas (91 Octane or more)
Fuel Filter every 20-30,000 km's is recommended or so I have heard
Good spark plugs, some cars can actually get away with running champion, not this one...
Oil (Now do I need to run synthetic? Will it actually make a difference)
How often do I need to change trans fluid, and what do I use?
How long should struts and springs last on these cars?
How long does a CV boot last on these cars once it has cracked a little bit?
How long will an axle seal last for if its only dripping a tiny bit?

How much does it usually cost you guys to upkeep these cars? What are some of the other "common maintenance problems" that these cars have, because I honestly don't think I can take any more of fords shenanigans. I have had a 95 probe, which I did countless ammounts of work too. A 2000 ZX3 that also had countless ammounts of work done to it, and now this SVT which is starting to head the direction of countless... Is it really worth it?

·
Lurking
1,999 Posts
well with my SVT i just had a new motor put in and a tranny with less than 35k on it and my car runs like a champ for the most part the only things that have gone wrong were things other people that have worked on the car messed up. oh and if you need rotors and a axel i have both. let me know and i can hook ya up..

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
and it goes back into the shop at lunch today, the check engine light came on again this morning, and the o2 sensor was suppose to be changed!!! WTF!!!!

I think this one might be a lemon boys.

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
Is it really worth it thats up to you, my SVT is having just small things go and I'm not putting up with it. After two more years I'm getting rid of it and buying something faster.

However, some people love these cars to death and will replace just about anything on them to keep it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Change out those plugs, champion plugs suck!

I had them in my old svt and it ran like shit and one plug failed so I was only running on 3 cylinders!

I second that. Champion plugs suck. I recommend the one step colder Motorcraft copper plugs. I think you can get them at advance auto parts. Tell them to search for part # SP463. Just don't tell them the application because it will render the parts counter guy into a "That does not fit your car because it is not on the computer" comma. Gap them to 58.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts