Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I posted a thread a couple days back about my car running like crap under 3k for last couple of weeks because of stalling when I come up to stops as I engage the clutch....and has a slight bog at very low RPM's and a hestation at around 2800 to 3000 RPM...hard to explain...so I got my hands on an OBII sanner and found these codes...P1518, P1131, P0171....one of these codes said something about the DSI being stuck open?? does this mean bad dsi clip??? or could this be say the IACV??? if anyone has any input it would help..thanks

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Start the car, pop the hood, grab the throttle with one hand and put the other on the DSI cable, wind the snot outta the car, you should feel the cable move inside your hand and hear the dull "thunk" of the switch over or the change in the pitch of the exhaust if all is working well.
If you feel the cable move but no change, the DSI clip is bad.
If you don't feel the cable move there is an issue with the control box.

The other 2 codes are for lean conditions. Being I don't know the maintenance of the car I'm going to go out on a limb and blame the O2 sensor.

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
car is very well maintained...probally because I have an ORP...maybe my MIL isent doing its job[dunno]

im gonna check my DSI clip tomorrow...and go from there.

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got on my car tonight on the way home...and I can tell you my DSI is working cause I can hear the transition....would a bad Idle air control valve cause my car to run lean and run funky?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I want to say no. If it would stick open it may register as lean, but then you'd have a high idle, not low as you do. Generally they will fail closed, it takes voltage to open it and the motors become weak and can't open any longer.

Unless an injector is failing I do think the O2 is to blame. Bank 1 IIRC is the front one, primary O2, the one that controls fueling. Could be something else but being you where in that area when you put the ORP on I could be it got wet or jarred a bit and took a dive on you.

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmmmm possibly...I actually sprayed down my under carriage not too long ago maybe I soaked the sensor too much...dammit lol...and the ORP has been on the car over a year.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
im throwing the p1131 and p1132

i just replaced my o2 sensor last week with a Motorcraft unit. no change!

what about the MAF sensor? could this be to blame? im still pondering the IAC

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^^^im in the same boat as you....im slowing buying parts and just doing and elimination process...thats good to know bout the o2 because I was gonna order it next...

·
1fastfocus05
1,592 Posts
i have the p0171 code also,,,i replaced both o2 sensors and its done nothing to fix the problem

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Let me scan mine tomorrow, well today I guess actually, and I'll get back to you. I have had a code for um about 5 years now that I've never fixed, tried and failed. I think it might actually be that 0171. I'll let you know.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Well I guess my car is one again an oddity. I had 2 stored codes, both for EGR. Hmmm wonder why, maybe because I don't have it, lol. But surprisingly there where no other codes pending. Odd because I almost always had random misfire codes, seems my stock coil fixed that.

So what I would do first is double and triple check for vacuum leaks. Go so far to make something to cover the TB and pressurize the intake and listen for leaks all the way back to the fuel tank (EVAP canister).
Other than that it's log or throw parts at it IMO.

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^^ sounds like a good idea...imma try something similar..will let you know what happens..

so last night I ordered a bunch of parts...IACV, TPS sensor and the front o2....I will let you guys know if any of these clear the codes I have...if not I will be pissed LOL

·
Dragon Warrior
309 Posts
i have always gotten many of the same codes. Maybe I will bring the Ford tool home tonight and screw around with it.

speaking of which I have an update for ti so I am going to do it. Ford sent me 4 DVD's for no reason. they all have the same info on it.

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TPS cleared my car of stalling and the rough idle......Still have a CEL hoping this o2 clears that tonight...will keep you guys updated.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts