Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can you swap the svt manifold on to the zetec easily? Or it is mucho fabrication? Also I have a zx2 with vct. I have some one selling one cheap and was wondering what the advantages would be.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
It will fit but the ports won't line up unless you slot the holes. Also you may need the alternator bracket from a SVT to get it to fit. Also you would need to get a RPM window switch if you want the long short runner to work, or you can leave it in long or short runner mode. Oh and not to mention the tb to go with it. Normal zetec one will not work

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
The ports lining up isn't a big deal. My numbers where made W/O them being lined up properly.

You don't need the SVT alternator bracket. It will fit with the stock zetec one, but be pretty tight. IIRC you can get a brand new SVT bracket for about $40 from Steve.

You don't need a window switch either. When I dyno'd short vs long runner it didn't make enough difference to fuss with it. I just left it on the short runner and was happy.

It's a pretty simple and straight forward swap. The hang up is the vacuum lines. Bulk vacuum line works just fine though. And for the brake booster, if you heat the hard plastic line up you can remove the factory fittings and reuse them on new line.

·
FF Affiliate
31,094 Posts
The ZX2 has the better of the flowing Intakes out there , it wouldnt be worth going to the SVT intake
The SVT isnt making the power it makes from the Intake , Its coming from the higher compression , HUGH cams , SVT Header and 2.25 Exh

Tom

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I have the exhaust. not quite fully the cams (at least zx2's are better then zx3's)
all I'm missing is the header and shaving the head but I don't like the interference motor issue with the svt's higher compression.

I have a guy on my other site that shaved his head .07ths and now the tensioner is having a hard tiime keeping the belt taught.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
he claims that it is at max to keep the belt tension at .070 using stock plastic tensioner. I found one 5mm larger and metal body.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
iminhell what kinda of increase did you find when you dynoed the intake on the zx2? any imorovement or almost none?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
On the Focus you mean.
And I can't say for sure. Seemed that I gained some low end TQ and some top end HP. Wasn't anything that was enough to say it's the greatest manifold ever made. The car just drove nice with it. Kinda on par with a bigger TB.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't really use my top end. It's a DD I just like to play and have fun. The swapping and upgrades are more like fun/practice for me. Just something I like to do. So it dosen't sound worth the effort for the small increase. I'm not FI and not planning to so the ported TB I have is enough for me don't need larger I understand unless turboed.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Well for a DD the long runner of the SVT should give a little better MPG. Makes more TQ so you have to use less peddle.
I just used a piece of aircraft wire to hold it on the long runner. Easy enough.

I won't say the swap wasn't worth it because for me it was. At first I didn't like the change in how the car drove. I had a FC 65mm TB and port matched IM on the car. Which is a peaky setup. The SVT gives a very broad TQ curve and it fools you. It didn't feel like I was making more power because the TQ was pretty flat, and it's the rising of TQ/HP that makes you think you're making good power.

This was before the SVT IM:

This was after:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I see you made about 10hp/tq and flattened out the dip at 3500 rpm
also it's a smooth steady curve. but the rpm ranges that I run in. Max 3500-4k seems to be about even.

you think $200 for complete setup is good price?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
No.
I'll be selling mine soon and won't ask that much for it, and it's already spoken for.

Was one that just sold for $150 shipped in the BST section and that's about the going rate for them ... unless by complete you're talking snorkel to manifold. Then $200 isn't a bad price.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well thanks for advertising an already sold one.
One that's still for sale:
SVT Intake Manifold: Complete swap. Intake manifold, Throttle body, Modified wiring harness, SVT Fuel rail with zx2 injectors installed, and clip with cable stop for throttle cable. I have the relay control box if you want it though I cut the cable at the very end to get clip off. I doubt you will use it anyways. It is set in default for high rev mode. Much bigger ports match with the Gude head great.
$200 shipped

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Well ....

$80 shipped but needs some work/parts --> http://teamzx2.com/threads/31639-SVT-DSIM-Throttle-Body-LOWERED/page2

I found the ad for the one you're thinking of ... I wouldn't simply because he doesn't seem to understand mechanical things. So I'm not sure if I could trust his rewiring and such.
And you are absolutely correct on the crank gear.

Here's one from FF for $150 --> http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264580&highlight=svt+intake
But I don't like the guy because he simply goes to a JY and picks parts then resells them here, basically running a business on FF's dime. So I'd try to talk him down in price, say $100 providing he posts a picture.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oh I know. With what I've seen from him I don't deleive he did the work. replaced the motor over loose head studs. But I just got the udp from him with belt for $40 when he started a bit higher. Didn't realive the gear marks on the back were the TB chewing in to it.

I go to the JY and resell parts on zx2. But I go with a requested list. I figure it's people that either don't have cars local or too lazy to go. But if I sell lets say power window conversion or right now it seems to be cruise conversions popular it keeps people intrested in their cars. Also I don't mark up the parts much. I basically break even after getting me some stuff.

I just searched and no svt in jy's for over 100 miles from me.
That $80 guy I've seen him alot not a bad guy but his tb is cracked. :( and no other parts included.
$150 guy has no tb also. and again not full swap
atleast $200 guy has everything and I could redo his wiring if needed. but his car did run for a while. I don't know why he didn't just throw a new headgasket on it and properly tighten the studs. Plus he just posted it give him time the svt intakes don't seem to be selling over there so he'll come down in price. I'm hoping $100 shiped but I don't want to insult him with that price too early. At least it's complete.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I hear that.
Patience pays off. It took me about 6 years to find a complete SVT head and about 10 to find a FRIM that was cheap. But wasted a lot of money in between because I was impatient.
Usually if there's a JRSC in the BST there will be a SVT IM up for sale soon after. But now with the TS manifold out you might end up not finding them complete.

If SoBe-it doesn't want mine I'll let ya know. He said he's looking for one and being I bought his FW I figured I'd return the favor with the IM.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Usually if there's a JRSC in the BST there will be a SVT IM up for sale soon after. But now with the TS manifold out you might end up not finding them complete.
??? decoder ring not working JRSC BST TS manifold. tap tap damn ring still not working.

But paitence grasshopper is the key. I have a mostly stocker so there is so many options for me. I just take it 1 piece at a time when $$ and oportunity and the stars in the sky all line up just right.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Damn your ring works better than mine.
Are you saying that they blow the motors or have to swap out the intake. I'm from the old 350/351's these little ford cars are new to me to play with

1 - 20 of 45 Posts