Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I installed my svt intake (with k&n) and took some pictures for reference. I came across some misleading info that said the svt snorkel could be fitted to the zetec airbox. Now onto the crappy cell phone pics!

Zetec top, SVT bottom.

SVT left, zetec right. You can see here that the holes for the snorkel are very different.

Zetec top, SVT bottom. You can use the zetec top with the svt bottom. But if you have the whole thing, you might as well put it. Not too sure what the difference would be though.

Zetec left, SVT right.
yes, i am missing the mini snorkel. I also didnt notice until later that the Zetec resonator will not fit on the SVT lower portion.

I also have the SVT MAF housing, but from past experience i know that i would need the corresponding fuel injectors for the MAF housing to prevent from running lean. Unless someone has already swapped them and can provide me with some insight.

·
MyCarBreaksAlot
8,609 Posts
You can fit it, but I believe it involves hacking it up/distorting the SVT snorkel to fit or basically duct taping the Zetec end of the hose to the SVT snorlel haha

But those pictures are interesting. I wouldn't use the SVT MAF unless you've got some hardcore stuff done to that engine. Too complicated for the gains you will (won't) get.

·
Registered
305 Posts
does any one have dimensions?
particularly the diameter of the main snorkel.
also the dimensions of the scoop.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
ok, now i see the "big" difference. obviously this is a better intake
The SVT snorkel is just some what tad bigger, that air box is the same god damn thing as the Zetec so I can't see the big difference.
You brought this because you saw it makes more gain then a Zetec air box.
SVT/St170 owner sell these because they have upgraded to a better air intake system.

Focus Sport, CFM, Cosworth etc all prove that CAI or air intake system have more gain with dyno graph
This is a joke.

·
FF Affiliate
30,934 Posts
I dont see changing it either with out going to the SVT MAF , the Zetec MAF is the restriction not the air box , with going to the SVT MAF I can see the inlet on the SVT box being slightly bigger

You dont have to change injectors per say to run the SVT MAF but you would need a tune

Tom

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Let's just say that you could almost put the entire Zetec snorkel inside the SVT one.
Like I said it's a tad bigger so the whp gain is next to none if any like sorry.
You could of drilled a bigger hole at the bottom of the air box and had bigger pipping for your snorkel.
On my zx5 I have the stock bottom air box and then I have a steeda air intake, air pod would of just been fine.
If you want the sporty note then buy CAI setup or just get aluminum tube
It's just pipping..hahaha

I wouldn't waste my money on the SVT MAF and tune, I would buy long tube header or exhaust system.
You'll see the difference then[wrenchin] ...lol[driving]

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
I was speaking figuratively. Anyway you look at it, it still flows more air than the traditional Zetec setup.

Get the SVT box setup, and a tune. Buying a long tube header is fine for extracting more HP but without a tune, it's nothing.

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The SVT snorkel is just some what tad bigger, that air box is the same god damn thing as the Zetec so I can't see the big difference.
You brought this because you saw it makes more gain then a Zetec air box.
SVT/St170 owner sell these because they have upgraded to a better air intake system.

Focus Sport, CFM, Cosworth etc all prove that CAI or air intake system have more gain with dyno graph
This is a joke.
The airboxs are not the exact same thing, hence why i posted these pics as reference.

Also, engine wise the SVT is pretty much maxed out from factory unless you get a tune.

I also refused to get a 'filter on a stick' intake for these reasons
1: the aluminum piping absorbs heat, where as the black plastic wont.
2: heatsoak. the filter on the stick is sucking in all the hot engine bay air, whereas the svt snorkel is drawing air from the outside. short rams to me are only good for its sound.

again, its all about preference. i preferred to get teh svt so i could use the larger snorkel in conjunction with teh air deflector (which i have yet to get).

That and it looks factory, because it IS factory. I fooled all my friends with it. they thought i had some expensive ass air intake from the loud rumble it makes.

as for performance gains, it may not be much to the wheels, but there was a better feel to it. its also very loud.

also, what do mean the maf connections? i could probably measure the svt maf to the zetec.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Nevermind about the dimensions of the MAS connection. I'm gonna get the kine already. Do you notice any HP gains? You have me sold on getting an SVT intake as well.

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nevermind about the dimensions of the MAS connection. I'm gonna get the kine already. Do you notice any HP gains? You have me sold on getting an SVT intake as well.
Well its hard to notice any wheel horsepower gains since the difference would be minute. I noticed a small gain, like it wouldnt take as long to get to highway speed etc.

And i already said it, its LOUD. But its a good loud.

·
Registered
191 Posts
From what I've read on other post on this subject if you want to get the most out of the SVT setup you will want to install the MAF housing and a SVT MAF sensor. Then get a dyno tune to reteach the computer the fuel air ratio. Supposedly the SVT MAF housing is larger in diameter.

Where did you get the SVT setup? How much did you pay for it? I wanna get 1 as well.

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got my svt intake setup from another member on here. i got mine for 90 shipped along with a k&n filter and the svt maf housing.

Tom has also stated that yes, you do need the maf housing to get the most of it. I dont think you need the sensor though, as you *might* need to splice into if its different. But dont quote me on the sensor as im not entirely sure.

Best thing to do would have to be get the svt intake, k&n, svt maf housing, and a sct xcal2 from tom with his tune and also the auto trans tune. you can also fit one more tune on there, maybe the 87 octane tune for daily driving.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
You CAN fit the svt snorkel onto the stock airbox:
-Put a hose clamp on the svt snorkel about 2-3 inches below the end that fits in the box. Doesn't have to be super tight, just enough to the two parts that make the snorkel stay together.
-Hold the snorkel end over the oven and wait until it's soft, then work it onto the box inlet. It's a perfect fit. No cutting or anything. Either way you have the svt box so don't worry about it.

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just preferred to have it fit the way its supposed to lol. [|)]

·
Registered
191 Posts
I installed the SVT air box setup on my ZX5 the other day and I didn't notice any difference. I think I need to install the MAF housing. I have the SVT MAF housing and the MAFS and was messing around with the combinations. I'll need to get a tune to make it work but I could hear a difference in my exhaust when I was trying out the MAFH and MAFS.

How much does it cost to change the tunes on tuners like an XCAL? I wish I could use those on 2 cars cuz I want to tune my SVT as well. That suck you need 1 for each car.

·
Registered
99 Posts
You don't see a dyno gain because the car is not moving while on a dyno--the hood is open and there is no wind forcing air through the snorkel, intake etc. Ram air works. It's not a new or secret concept, just simple physics. It works.

·
Registered
76 Posts
probably wouldnt be noticable...a couple of hp.....who would notice that? i gather he is looking for better responsiviness from his engine and not a big power gain. air density has more to do with engine performance than you would think. doesnt the mafs measure that?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts