Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So can anybody give me any info on what it takes to do this. Has anyone done this? What is the power gain? Is it worth it?
My best friend has an SVT with the Powerworks kit, and he doesn't use his intake manifold anymore so i figured since it'll be a while before i go forced induction, this'll be fun to have.
So any info on this conversion will be much appreciated.
Thanks guys
[wrenchin]

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Yes it can be done and it meant to give better pick up at 4000rpm I think
I'm not sure if you'll gain any hp and if you do it won't be much to write home about.

If you want an performance manfiold then buy FR manifold

·
Registered
921 Posts
Too much work for not enough gain. You'd be better getting headwork and cams with a 2000 or Ford Racing IM.

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
way to much work...port your stock or get a fr or a 200 im ported

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
I've heard people talk about how great the swap is.... but yet NO ONE has ever put up a dyno to verify if it actually does shit.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I went from a fully ported 2000 intake and a 65mm T/B to the SVT intake and I felt a noticeable difference, especially when the short runners engaged. Never dyno'd it but for less than half the price of a FR intake it was worth it for me. The FR intake probably has more top end potential but the SVT intake has the benefit of dual runner length so you should not have to trade low end performance for top end.
I recommend doing the swap but if you do you have to do some dyno work for us-some before and after pulls. We need to have someone do the testing and post some numbers!

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
SVT all the way.

Find me any other manifold that produces such a nice TQ curve and takes advantage of the intake harmonics.

Next week I'll try to get some dyno time in and post the results (I need a base line anyways).

Right now all I run is the short runner. I don't have a DSI controller, been lazy. But I can wire the short in place make a pull then make another run with just the long (which is how I will do it).

I also have a base line from years back, 2003, before I had the SVT on the car.

In all honesty I wouldn't go back to my stock manifold even with my 65mm TB on it. I like the swap and I think it really helped. But having the adjustable gears helped too.
btw, my profile has listed what's done at the moment, best I can recall.

I got dyno time next Saturday @4. So after I get back I'll post results.

·
The Godfather
4,405 Posts
To accurately test this would require the same care to swap out intakes and be properly tuned. Not exactly a fun thing to do. This SVT intake thing is something that had been discussed in the past but enough common sense people were around to talk it down, apparently we do not have enough of them on the board anymore.

First rule of modding your Focus is that just because it came of an SVT model it doesn't automatically make your car produce more power.

Number two rule is that if you tune your car properly you too can have a nice TQ curve. Just because you add an SVT intake to a Zetec and then tune around it doesn't mean that you have the intake to thank for it.

For those looking at wasting their time on this, save the cash and get a 2000 intake and a proper tune.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Before:

mods where cam gears, full exhaust (FC 4-2-1/flex and SHM flex back), Diablo Sport chip, cone filter, underdrives and 65mm TB

After:

mods now are, SVT intake manifold, same FC header flex but Magnaflow (leaky), cam gears, underdrives, same chip no reflash, Pro-M 70mm MAFS, cone filter
... and 100,000 miles later, roughly

The blue run was the long runner and the other two are the short runners. I did zero cam change from the long to short, which is where the SVT makes the biggest power difference, now quite apparent. But it looks like we can say that the SVT manifold swap will net you about 5-10 hp, I'd imagine a car with less miles would do better (I have 140,000 miles on mine).

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
all are plastic exept for the fr and hp/all other aftermarket intakes.

·
The Godfather
4,405 Posts
mods now are, SVT intake manifold, same FC header flex but Magnaflow (leaky), cam gears, underdrives, same chip no reflash, Pro-M 70mm MAFS, cone filter

The blue run was the long runner and the other two are the short runners. I did zero cam change from the long to short, which is where the SVT makes the biggest power difference, now quite apparent. But it looks like we can say that the SVT manifold swap will net you about 5-10 hp, I'd imagine a car with less miles would do better (I have 140,000 miles on mine).
Stating that extra HP purely coming from the manifold is optimistic at best. Here is why;

Two different dynos, two different sets of calibration.

Dyno sheets are spaced over 5 years apart if the last one is recent.

Two different times of year. On June 27th, 2003 in Watertown, SD it was a max of 73 degrees with a BP around 29.87. The other dyno was in Plymouth, MN and if it was in the last 7 seven days it was not 73 degrees, without any idea on BP. Cooler, denser air = more HP. Lower BP = more HP.

There is just zero way to say that the SVT manifold to a darn thing for you and most likely did nothing if you did nothing to take advantage of the fact that it was there (tuning). It is like throwing 110 octane gas in a car with a 93 octane tune.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
So the same logic should be applied to all those who claim the ported 200 manifold produces greater gains also, shouldn't it?

Ya I know it's a hell of a large time gap, but it's all I have. And as far as "tuning" there really is none. The chip is basically worthless. In the few logs I've done with and with out all I've ever seen is the speed limiter was raised. Other than that it actually does nothing, least in the way of timing that I though it was supposed to.

The new one was on Saturday the 1'st and the outside temp was actually about 60ish (pretty nice day for this time of year). But the dyno was done indoors, climate control. As was the other. So that does account for some temp variation, though relative humidity and barometric pressure I didn't take note of.

But if you look at the TQ vs the HP you can sort of surmise that it made an improvement. TQ is pretty close on both occasions but HP is the one that made the jump. So that to me says that more than just dyno variation and climatic variables have to be to blame.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm in the middle of this swap as well onto my ZX2.

My question: Do the ports line up for you focus guys or do you have to port the stock head out to take advantage of the larger runner openings on the SVT manifold?

The stock zx2 manifold ports are aprox. 27MM X 44MM while the SVT is 33MM X 46MM. The SVT comes in at a slightly higher angle and is approx 2mm high for the "floor" of the ports. I removed the metal inserts in the flange and mounted it to the head and the floor lined up perfectly. I'm currently in the process of porting everything so it matches.

I'm waiting on a valve spring compressor that I ordered from the MAC tool guy at work. I'm getting oversize valves and all that stuff but figured I'd start on it. I have around 2 hrs on the 1 intake port and 3 hrs on the 1 exhaust port. Exhaust port is opened to 1.5" to match my header... This is my first time doing this stuff and just using it as a learning experience. If it all works out great, awesome, if not, Fffffff Uuuuuuuuuu and a waste of money HAHA.

Scribed showing material that needs removed...

Mount inserts removed, picture down runner showing what needs to be removed and that the floor is nearly perfect. After removing the slight hump just inside and the texture, it lines up great.

Nearly done:

Much larger looking now:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts