Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I bought a used SVT airbox for about $45.00 shipped off of ebay. I put it on my car yesterday in about half an hour.

Install was easy. I could have done it in ten minutes if it weren't for the PITA screws that ford used on the airbox housing. Ford cheaped out on these guys (why didn't they just use clips?) and two of the screws turned with the nut (which broke free of the housing). I ended up getting pissed off and just ripping the top of the housing off of the last bolt of my oem airbox. Good thing i didn't need to change my filter.

The MAF was bolted on with two torx screws. It was easy to get off and mates right up with the new box. In fact, the tops of the two airboxes are identical.

The SVT airbox just slides right in. I snaked the snorkle underneath the battery, mounted everything, and voila. Direct bolt-on. I was even able to reuse my K$N drop-in panel filter from my stock airbox.

My driving impressions? The sound is definately meatier. It's a bit louder, but not overly so. And it definately woke my engine up. I felt modest gains throughout the powerband and it helped my top end a bit.

For those of you looking for a cheap bolt-on, if you can find one of these suckers used (from here, ebay, or at salvage), I'd definately recommend it!

It posted the same or better gains as the volant too! [thumb] .

·
Registered
958 Posts
Black&Tan said:
It posted the same or better gains as the volant too! [thumb] .

what do u mean? u dynoed both of them...or was this on the buttometer?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do a search for volant vs. svt intake.

A while ago someone dyno'ed both a volant and an SVT intake off of a zx3. The SVT actually outperformed the Volant in the low RPM's, and gains were equivelant on the top end.

The volant was using the oem zetec intake, and it was without the RAM air scoop that you can buy seperately. The SVT intake had a paper filter. Someone pointed out that the Volant would probably do better with the RAM air scoop, and that the SVT might match the better performance if you switched to a K&N.

As for me, I think $40.00 is a much better way to go than the $400.00 retail you'd pay for a new volant+ram air scoop (or even $200 or so just for the volant) for equivelant gains. Even if you picked up a used volant+ scoop you're still running in the $150 to $200 range, vs. around $40 for a used SVT intake and airbox. IMHO it's just not worth the money, unless you're going for engine dress-up. The volant definately looks cooler. To me, it just doesn't look $110 + cooler.

·
Registered
384 Posts
This is what i have been saying for a while! Svt intake with K&N is your best bet. Unless you going SC...Then you classic ebay special with the bigest piping and filter you can get would probally be better.

I personally noticed most of my largest gain in mid/low end with a fair gain up top as well. Sounds is the best ive heard by far.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
i run a svt airbox and snorkle with a steeda pipe and it runs tons better and it looks good.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
o yea with a k&n

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you drop a steeda SRI into the airbox and mod it? Or are you just running the smooth pipe from the intake to the TB?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts