Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all reading this.

i dont have an svt and i figured you guys would be the best to answer my question.
i have searched and found less than what i am wanting,
neither can i find any technical articles on the svt intake tubing.
what i am concerned with is the svt "s-tube" and its purpose.
it cant be just a silencer...can it.
if that were true why not a box style resonator like the non-svt zetecs?
and from the only two pics ive seen of it, it seems to be "tuned" due to its length.

help me out guys.

in the fashion of mere speculation.
compare the s-tube to say a non-svt box resonator on the same engine all else equal.
could the benefits be a quicker throttle response, or a "tuned" intake tubing to increase the velocity of the air supply.(i know the intake mani is a dual runner for the purpose of low/high applications but that is not of concern at the moment) and that is why the stock svt intake tubing is superior to its aftermarket along with its wider diameter tubing..

i would guess it to be a tuned port similar in effect to the tuned ports on enclosures for subwoofers. the ports allow a higher peak contrasted to a non-ported design. i assume some of the same characteristics to be applied to the intake tubing.

any clarification will be greatly appreciated and i welcome any and all input on this ...rather elusive topic.

·
Registered
191 Posts
alot of guys think it is a silencer but the concensus of all is the car sounds better without. the svt setup may help on a non svt but regardless cai is the way to go on an svt or non

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
much appreciated. anyone else?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just upgraded to a full SVT airbox with the "s" tube and SVT Snorkel. I was told that the "S" tube is part of what makes the set up much better than stock (similar to the Iceman intake set which also has a similar tube only longer). It gives the airbox additional sources of cold air under the hood. On a similar note, I took out my stock resonator box in my old airbox and it sounds no different. And no, it will not have any negative effect on performance if you decided to pull it out.

BTW, with the SVT airbox and K&N drop in filter, I feel that I gained some low and mid end torque --just IMHO

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I took mine out a while back and didn't knotice a difference so I put it back in. I ported my TB last weekend and drove my car around for a day. The next day I had an itch to take it out so I did and it totally change the tone of my exhaust when the runners open up. So I like it off now.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just upgraded to a full SVT airbox with the "s" tube and SVT Snorkel. I was told that the "S" tube is part of what makes the set up much better than stock (similar to the Iceman intake set which also has a similar tube only longer). It gives the airbox additional sources of cold air under the hood. On a similar note, I took out my stock resonator box in my old airbox and it sounds no different. And no, it will not have any negative effect on performance if you decided to pull it out.

BTW, with the SVT airbox and K&N drop in filter, I feel that I gained some low and mid end torque --just IMHO
were you given any information as to how it aids in performance?

·
Registered
261 Posts
i have an SVT and I took out the S tube and I noticed the difference in sound (in a positive way) and I havent gotten any problems with it off so I kept it off

·
Registered
83 Posts

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Its bigger than the standard zetec S tube... and its only a cold air scoop.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its bigger than the standard zetec S tube... and its only a cold air scoop.
my zetec does not have an S-tube only a small oval port and a boxed resonator.
are you saying that the standard zetecs are supposed to have the s-tube?

[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*
WOAH
im talking about the little "resonator" tube on the airbox not the actual snorkel that draws air from the grill area.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
You should have the tube in the oval port... as for the resonator, its been so long since I actually saw one that I dont remember.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts