Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here in Michigan we got our first real snowfall last night/today and I must say that my svt SUCKS in the snow! I can hardly touch the gas without TC kicking in, same goes for the ABS. My ABS turned on just about every time I touched the break. Though my breaks (ABS) seemed to get better after driving for several miles. I have had my SVT for 2 years but this is the first time I have driven it in snow. It’s going to be a LONG winter at this rate.

How dose everyone else do in the snow?

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
Did you get all season tires? If not than that is the reason why its so bad. i've been rolling on summers for two years and after MANY close calls I caved and am switching to an Ultra high performance all season tire

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
yeah man i second what jgustafson ^^ said....my focus sucked in the snow...even though i was riding on new tires with PLENTY of tread and they still sucked....half-way through the winter i decided to get some snow rated tires and ever since than, my car drives through snow like a 4 wheel drive truck!

it's all in the tires man

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
SVT+Dunlop Winter Sports= fun!!!

Seriously, snow tires make a world of difference. Driving without them in snow is like racing on a set of crappy all seasons. It's cheap insurance. I have $500 in my setup and after 1 season they barely show a bit of ware on them so they will last a good few more years still. Not only in snow but even just in the cold they are better. I strongly advise seeing if you can get some.

·
coooookie monster
7,570 Posts
nice i just have fuzion hri all seasons this year

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hakkapeliittas FTMFW... All I ever used when I lived in a place that snowed... Greatest snow tire on earth...

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I've had the same problem the first couple years with mine...the car sucked horribly in the snow. I'd be spinning my tires, fishtailing, etc etc and i was getting fed up with it.

It was only after a while when i started educating myself that i realized i had summer only tires on the car and since then i had switched to Dunlop Graspics for the winter. I gotta say...that is the best money i ever spent on tires. Ever since then i have not had a single issue with snow or ice. At a standstill i took off on a patch of road covered with ice w/o even slipping the tires. Of course taking off in 2nd and feathering the clutch a bit helped lol

but yeah...get a dedicated set of good winter tires and you'll realize how good it really can be in the snow

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
I went with ContiExtreme Contacts (sort of the All-Season version of the OEM tires), and they've been a great compromise so far (granted, we got almost no snow last winter - when I got them - so they haven't REALLY been tested yet). But, yeah, the ContiSports were hilariously bad in the snow (did a 180 taking a turn at, like, 5MPH)...

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
mmm Snow

And no i dont have HID's in my fogs they are just super bright white i guess.

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
Some more details on my experience with summer tires in winter. My car came with some Goodyear Eagle F1s, no good at all in the snow, slid into a curb and bent a tie rod pretty bad. Then replaced those with Dunlop SP summer tires which are still on there and those are shaky in the snow too, because I was young and dumb(still young but slightly less dumb now) and didn't want to sacrifice the cornering ability.

Not to mention the rubber compound in summer tires is not suited for the cold temperatures so even if there is no snow it will cause you to lose grip since the tire becomes much harder and therefore you will lose some stickiness.

Now I figured I''ll just take the dive so I bought Kumho Ecsta ASX Ultra high performance all seasons, we'll see how the do in the snow. With the money I saved not buying new summers I bought some very nice ASA AR1s as a consellation prize for losing some cornering ability though[clap]

Save your SVT, buy some winters or some all seasons[driving] [thumb]

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I went with ContiExtreme Contacts (sort of the All-Season version of the OEM tires), and they've been a great compromise so far (granted, we got almost no snow last winter - when I got them - so they haven't REALLY been tested yet). But, yeah, the ContiSports were hilariously bad in the snow (did a 180 taking a turn at, like, 5MPH)...
I had some of those for awhile and I have to say, these are probably the best all season tires I've ever driven. More than enough grip in the dry for everyday spirited driving, As long as they have good tread they do surprisingly well in snow/winter and have decent treadware aswell. If I was stuck with an all season, it would be another set of these. [thumb]

Here's my car a few years back with them on.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
^^ cool! It's certainly nice to hear from someone who concurs rather than getting flamed...

And, yeah, I think they look pretty badass (the tread pattern, especially).

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
I don't have an svt, but I drove with all season tires my first winter, and they sucked.
The next winter, I got bridgestone blizzak snow tires, and my focus did amazing in the snow.
Drove through the snow like no ones business, never has a lick of trouble.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I've been riding on all seasons up until this year and did my fair share of sliding. This year I did the SVT brake swap and can no longer switch from the 17's to 15's for winter, so I bought (4) 215/45-17 Dunlop Graspic-D2 winter tires for my extra set of SVT rims, can't wait to try them out in this MI weather.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
well my winter horrors are nothing of you Northern Guys, but down here in good ole Alabama, we get snow maybe 1nce a year, and thats flurries, but even with it cold (like 40 and below) my tires are freakin scary. They dont even stick for real. You guys are prepared for the driving, while I'm down here haulin ass, and before i notice, its wanting to go into a slide.....boo on me. I'll get flurry pictures haha...

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I struggled with the stock summer tires in the winter for 3 years. I finally broke down and got the Bridgestone Blizzaks and the SVT focus drives awesome.

·
Slow n lifted
10,570 Posts
last year i had stock focus all seasons and 16s and never got stuck and i was lowered!!!!!!!!!! car handled like a beast! also didnt have t/c love my sunroof and audiophile!

·
MOAR BEWST!!!!
1,528 Posts
my TC and ABS dont work cuz i think there is metal shavings on my left rear abs sensor from when i had to drill that bolt out.

and..i SHOULD be driving my towncar right now but my brother is driving it cuz he broke both his door handles on his talon...dsm failsauce. soon im just gonna steal that car back cuz BFgoodrich G-Force tires BLOW in 1/4" of snow.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts