Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I have the Mach HID headlights on my svt, and here's the problem:
About three weeks ago, the headlights would alternately not work. Left would work, but not right, I would turn the car off and on and it would go vice-versa. After about a week of this, The passenger side turned off completely. Last night, both lights are not working at all, except the high beams and one small orange light on the passenger side. I'd really appreciate any ideas on how to quickly diagnose the problem so that I don't have to spend a day in a shop or 100s of dollars just for them to tell me it's something simple. I replaced my own bulbs about a year and a half ago and have had no problem. Thank you in advance if you have any suggestions!

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
Check the fuses. There are separate fuses for left and right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I checked the fuses under the hood and under the dash and they seem to be okay

Update: Now the original problem is back. One headlight turns on, I turn them off and on and they switch, and I turn off and on again and neither works. Is this a power issue perhaps? Not enough power from the battery or alternator? My instrument cluster lights have always faded off within the first five minutes of driving as well

·
Registered
394 Posts
did your car contain drl from the factory? the drl is incompatible with hid balast ignition. becaues drl reduces the voltage, but the balast requires full voltage, its like putting cfl compact florescent bulbs in your celing and usign a dimmer on them, they will not work or flicker very badly.

hope this helps

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
always check your grounds. i had a tech in my shop diagnose my hid issue today. my one side wouldn't light up at times. now its off all the time. the procedure started off with checking grounds, checking all wiring connections. etc.

we wound up swapping a ballast from my fogs to verify that the ballast for my headlamp was bad.

good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts