Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have an SVT and found someone local that is selling some seats with seat heaters anyone know how hard the install is to make the heater work? I couldnt find a how-to anywhere

·
So mote be it
8,861 Posts
Heated seats are pretty easy. You just need a power source (I did add-a-fuse) then that wire goes straight to a switch, switch to the heating pad then from heating pad to a ground.

I found someone parting out an SVT and used proper SVT switches in the stock location then wired up to the proper pin on the SVT wire harness. If not using SVT switch, you just need a simple on/off switch and I'd suggest a couple quick connects incase you ever have to disconnect the seat/switch. If using the SVT switch, you will also need to tap into a headlight source for illuminating the button.

Which if you are getting the seats with the heat already wired to the harness, its going to be a real easy install. Hardest part of installing heat is installing the actual seat heat elements (hog rings on the seats suck) but you dont need to worry about that in a full seat swap. Conversely, if you didnt want to buy new seats, you just need seat heating pads you can find everywhere on the net and install under the seat fabric

Also, you typically need to switch over your current seat belts and seat position sensors. At least i did going from non-svt to Svt seats. I didnt have to worry about seat airbags since my car didnt have them but that has been an issue for others

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the seats I have now are SVT seats with electric cushion adjust but manual slide. does this mean Ill need to switch over seat belts?

·
So mote be it
8,861 Posts
well the seats I have now are SVT seats with electric cushion adjust but manual slide. does this mean Ill need to switch over seat belts?
I cant say, you will either get a dash light or you wont. Most do and its pretty simple to swap the seat belt over, i forget the torx size but its just one bolt holds the seat belt to the seat...not the entire seat belt mind you, just the female portion with the button to release the belt thats actually mounted to the seat itself

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
It is possible that the wiring harness for the seat heaters is already in your car, underneath the center console.
The issue with the seat swap is the model year of the replacement seats. The SRS CPU (if you will) is incompatible with SRS components from other model year vehicles, hence the need to swap seat belt buckle ends and side air bags. If you are installing '02 seats into an '02, you should have no issues. '03 or '04 seats into an '02 may we'll get you an air bag light.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Heated seats are pretty easy. You just need a power source (I did add-a-fuse) then that wire goes straight to a switch, switch to the heating pad then from heating pad to a ground.

I found someone parting out an SVT and used proper SVT switches in the stock location then wired up to the proper pin on the SVT wire harness. If not using SVT switch, you just need a simple on/off switch and I'd suggest a couple quick connects incase you ever have to disconnect the seat/switch. If using the SVT switch, you will also need to tap into a headlight source for illuminating the button.

Which if you are getting the seats with the heat already wired to the harness, its going to be a real easy install. Hardest part of installing heat is installing the actual seat heat elements (hog rings on the seats suck) but you dont need to worry about that in a full seat swap. Conversely, if you didnt want to buy new seats, you just need seat heating pads you can find everywhere on the net and install under the seat fabric

Also, you typically need to switch over your current seat belts and seat position sensors. At least i did going from non-svt to Svt seats. I didnt have to worry about seat airbags since my car didnt have them but that has been an issue for others
Do you know what fuse is for the heated seats? Going to finally hook mine up.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Let me ask you this: I got the seats heating, at least the back part (butt portion seems to be broken). I simply did a add a fuse, with a 15 amp fuse to a switch directly to the heaters. Issue I'm having is that it gets super hot. What would be causing this? Do the back and butt portions have separate thermostats? If I somehow had power going through the heater backwards, would it bypass the thermostat?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
So mote be it
8,861 Posts
Let me ask you this: I got the seats heating, at least the back part (butt portion seems to be broken). I simply did a add a fuse, with a 15 amp fuse to a switch directly to the heaters. Issue I'm having is that it gets super hot. What would be causing this? Do the back and butt portions have separate thermostats? If I somehow had power going through the heater backwards, would it bypass the thermostat?

Sent from my Pixel XL using FF Mobile
When I had the Recaro's and the stock heat, they never got uncomfortably hot. Both the seat and the back felt the same temperature. All one temperature level, either on or off and took several minutes for me feel. This was all through the leather though, i never had a reason to feel them outside of the seat (came preinstalled with the seats.)

I have read about the bottom and back burning out at different times though and needing to replace one section or the other.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts