Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have OBX-R Racing Headers with a TruBendz, Flex Pipe. I plan to switch to a SVT Header with a cat or ORP, not sure which yet. My question is, I know the SVT Header doesn't have the EGR Bung on it. My question is, how much is an estimated cost for the EGR, or what can I do to bypass or tear the entire egr system out of my car? With doing this is there a tune to counter the check engine lights?

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
You can shut down the EGR system with a tune, but you won't get it through most emissions tests if you need to.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No echeck where I live, If I do so, can I pull the EGR system out, including the DPFE? and where would I plug it, also doing this will it make my car run like poo?

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
I'm not 100% on that. I'm welding in an EGR bung on mine because I've got to go through emissions.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
it will run fine. no egr on my car. actually if youe egr valve/DPFE are getting gummed up and old you car will run better

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
yes, you pull the DPFE as well. the tune will disable the DPFE which is what controls and regulates the EGR. then you just plug the EGR side up on the intake w/ some JBweld and install the SVT header

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
anyone have picturs of it removed and plugged up? Greatly Apprecaite it. I like my OBX-R headers, but hate the loud tone, no one to dull it down plus the build quality on the svt headers is far superior.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
have you looked how it was attached? its pretty much self exlpanitory. don't know what else to say

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
not recently, I read concerns about pulling egr makes the temp in the engine much hotter causing heat spots and cracks, any truth to this?

·
Registered
689 Posts
I have the EGR disabled on mine through the tune (I think) and I have passed emissions just fine. I have all the EGR related stuff still in the car though.
(Not to thread jack... Is it worth bothering to remove it? Any benefits to removing the tube, Valve and DPFE?)

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Weight, make engine look nicer without all of that crap in there.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
the egr brings down the efficiency of the motor, however helps w/ NOx

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
Serenity try pm'ing Sleepyboy from the Texas forum. He removed his a long time ago and could probably give you a rundown. Don't think he's had any heat spot issues. He works overnight so is usually online then. Also i would think since SVT has no egr it shouldn't be any issue.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts

there you go. wrapped SVT header and no EGR.
now lets hope i can sneak threw the sniffer without it.

been removed for over a year issue free and many drag passes/hard driving

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
Hey Mike, how'd you shorten your throttle and cruise cables?

Sorry don't mean to thread jack.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mike so you elimnated all the tubes, the DPFE, the EGR line back then just disconnect the line that is heading into the EGr valve it self, with a cap of some sort? Have you experience any idle or other issues, looks good btw

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Hey Mike, how'd you shorten your throttle and cruise cables?

Sorry don't mean to thread jack.
never did, came like that. car is a 04 ZX5 ATX and had every option when i got it. not auto anymore, ect. could possibly find the cables and tb at a wreckers or soemthing.
my 00 ZTS 5 speed has the really long ass cable that does to the rad support/coolant tube thing. so im not sure if its an auto thing (i know they have diff cables) or something to do with the car being made after 02.5

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
tube, egr valve, DPFE all lines/tubes to go with it. for the manifold i just went to a wreckers pulled a line off it and removed the plastic tube from the end and sealed it with rtv, basicly making my own cap for the port.

didn't have any issues with it once removed, never did before either.

i removed the valve from the manifold and made that little plate. you pretty much block off i think 1 vac line and the tube for the EGR and pull the rest out

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
REMOVE:

tube
egr valve
DPFE
this canister looking thing (or i think i removed that then, its not the EVAP canister but one near the DPFE)
vac lines

BLOCK:

Vac line at manifold
EGR tube on manifold

1 - 20 of 22 Posts