Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short is the SVT blew the upper radiator hose off the radiator (weak hose clamp) 3 miles from the house on the freeway. I continued home, as I did not know it happened. Replace clamp, refill with coolant and drive to work for 3 days, now after sitting over the long 3 day weekend, she wont fire.

Check plugs, change wires, coil, fuel filter and all result in not firing. No codes, ect. I check the oil, doesn't look "milky" like everyone says but its a good quart over full. I just changed with mobil one the week before. SO great, drain oil and as soon as the plug turns once, nothing but coolant in the pan, then comes the "oil". Anyway, I tear down the motor and find the head gasket has separated almost across all cylinders, but some of that could have happened during tear down. While debating on what to do next, order parts since no one has them local in stock? Take my time and get the dirty engine bay cleaned up? I started with cleaning the old gasket off the head/block and prep for new gaskets and timing belt goodies to go on. I start with the heads and come to find out ther are some surface/small/hairline cracks between the spark plug hole and valve seat on #1. There was no dis coloration in the area or looking inside the ports.

What are your opinions about the head? NO worries, run with it, get it checked or toss it out??

Also, Note the broken bolt hole on the VCT solenoid hold down, will that be an issue and what would cause cyl 1&3 to be pretty clean and 2&4 to be really dirty

Pics...............

·
Registered
467 Posts
wow sorry man that sucks, the only time I have seen pistons that clean is when its been burning coolant/water. It steam cleans the inside of the combustion chamber. I would def get the head checked out those may not be the only cracks in that head. I don't know about the broken bolt hole if it can be repaired or not. I think the best thing you can do is take it to a good machine shop.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Mind you, I'm not a professional mechanic but, I'd get the head checked. Hell, it's already off the engine. I'm curious as to why 2 of the cylinders are baby smooth clean.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Definitely take it to a machine shop. It doesn't make sense to put the engine back together with key components that you are not certain of, have them fail, and then be right back to square one.

·
Registered
497 Posts
The clean cylinders are the ones that where burning coolant when it overheated. Your head is almost certainly warped beyond the sealing capability of the gasket....but it doesn't matter. Those cracks are not repairable. These MLS gaskets can seal .003" total between the head and deck. Frankly, if you clean the shortblock up well and replace the head you should be good but if it where me I'd completely tear it down and rebuild it. At this point your labor justifies doing this properly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dropped it off this morning to get pressure tested and if it passes, it needs to be milled. Fingers crossed!!!

As far as a total engine rebuild, its just in my budget right now. I'll prol be forced to sell the car as is and buy something cheap for awhile. Unless I just need to buy a new head

·
FF Affiliate
31,098 Posts
If the head is warped you can surface it and go back with a slightly thicker HG , not a big deal unless it is a lot then you run into cam issues because if the bottom of the head is warped so is the top where the cams go , you can get by with .015-.020 much more then that may be issues for the cams

More then likely the head will psi test just fine and I see no reason not to reuse the head because of the cracks , the head is very thick there and no water real close to those areas

Its hard to say what shape the pistons/rings are in with out pulling them or doing a leak down and you couldnt with blown HG

One thing that worries me is it looks to me like some one glass beaded/sand blasted the head this is HUGH mistake , now every oil passage plug needs to come out and be cleaned VERY WELL of that glass/sand goes to the cam surface area and it will eat out the head

Tom

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Tom. I didnt blast the head, just used a fine bristle wire wheel on my drill on low speed.

Ill get the head back tomorrow and go from there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Time to buy a new head :( those cracks were leaking water from the pressure tests. i'M Not sure if they are deep, a coolant pasage back there or there is other places where the head is cracked.

Are my cams and all that good to use with a new one? Buying used if all possible.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts