Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes another SVT head on ZETEC block question. I've got an SVT head, complete with cams, cam gears and valvetrain for 250. I want to get this on my zetec block keeping VCT, i did some search and most of what i found with people wanting to put an SVT head on their zetec block was suggested to get the VCT delete. I just want to know what else besides either getting my ecu flashed or getting the SVT ECU, in which case i will need the wiring because i heard the pinouts aren't the same. This may be something i do in the comming months, so i want to get as much info on it as possible all, post up what you know peeps.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
just delete the VCT. its mainly an emissions thing anyways. deleting the VCT is comparable to deleting the EGR on a zetec

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so i'm wrong in thinking that the VCT deals with the performance of the SVT head? Just wondering cause i was under the impression that it does, someone clue me in

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Save up and get a turbo. The DSI and VCT in the SVT are partly what gave it it's performance, but that's still 172 at the crank. A turbo will cost as much as a head, and give you much more power.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Doubt you'll find a turbo for $250, ya know, lol.

Ok here is what I have come to terms with so far (no testing as of yet).
You'll need some way of controlling the advance and retarding of the intake cam. That is done by a signal sent to the ECU from the Cam Position Sensor and from ECU to VCT controller. If you look at a standard zetec intake can vs the SVT you should notice the extra lobes near the Cam Position Sensor. Nearest I can figure those extra lobes are used to relate real cam position to the ECU, with the zetec the cam sensor is only used while cranking the car over to tell it TDC, after that it isn't used at all.
So if you want VCT you will have to come up with a way to relay the info from the SVT cam sensor to the control motor. What I was thinking is a Vtec controller or something similar (maybe double duty with a MSD digital window switch?).
Far as I know that's the only hang up with making the head function as it would on an SVT. Oil ports and what not seem to be the same, though I don't quite know about that green (?) port right below the cam journals on the deck. I'll investigate that one later and get back.

·
Registered
268 Posts

Ok here is what I have come to terms with so far (no testing as of yet).
You'll need some way of controlling the advance and retarding of the intake cam. That is done by a signal sent to the ECU from the Cam Position Sensor and from ECU to VCT controller. If you look at a standard zetec intake can vs the SVT you should notice the extra lobes near the Cam Position Sensor. Nearest I can figure those extra lobes are used to relate real cam position to the ECU, with the zetec the cam sensor is only used while cranking the car over to tell it TDC, after that it isn't used at all.
So if you want VCT you will have to come up with a way to relay the info from the SVT cam sensor to the control motor. What I was thinking is a Vtec controller or something similar (maybe double duty with a MSD digital window switch?).
Far as I know that's the only hang up with making the head function as it would on an SVT. Oil ports and what not seem to be the same, though I don't quite know about that green (?) port right below the cam journals on the deck. I'll investigate that one later and get back.
This is exactly I was about to say regarding the intake cam lobe of SVT vs the Zetec cam lobe where the cam position sensor comes in contact with. I have not seen the actual intake cam of SVT only by pictures, but it looks as though the extra lobe in SVT is removable (not sure), like a removable ring. Best thing to do is take the SVT intake cam remove the VCT unit and "try" to remove the ring that surrounds the lobe. Report back here after you have tried.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On the contrary, i do have in my possession a turbo, turbo mani, and DP i got for 250.... shipped mind you, only problem was the turbo manifold had a crack which is an easy enough fix

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And thanx for all the info guys, i may not get to doing this until probably the end of the month or so, kina hav to be a lil more focused w/ school right now, and getting few extra bills taken care of, but once everything's settled i'll try and get to it

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Cam Position ring, SVT intake cam (for those who are wondering what the hell we are talking about):

1 - 11 of 11 Posts