Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Turbo Freak
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[scratch] I'm in an argument with my friend, if i raise the compression, put counter weights on my crank, put high compression positions, will this make my car faster? I'm saying to him my motor is built already and this would not do much.
who has the knowledge?

·
Turbo Freak
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
think its safe?
i know its a heated discussion

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
ok heres the deal. your bottom end is already really good. and really your whole engine is very well built.

if you want to eek out more speed be prepared to spend some coin.
what i'd look at is forced induction for your svt.
the best bang for buck would be a supercharger. since your car came with pretty much the best header for a focus right off the bat. the one that is widley accepted as the best one here would be the powerworks supercharger for the svt. conservative estimates and tunes put it at around 220 TO THE WHEELS!!!!! if you go this route DO NOT ADD NITROUS!!! it will eat the teflon coating on the vanes in the supercahrger. you will need to re tune the car, and hit up a dyno to get the safest power tune.

and just remember what your car lacks in all out speed it makes up for with great handling characteristics. so always play to the cars strong suit.

note this is all without breaking into the bottom end. if your gonna do that look at a set of forged rods and pistons, and send the whole shebang, (a stock crank, forged rods and pistons) off the be balanced and blueprinted. what they do is actually shave off material so its al lequal to thelightes rod/piston combo, allowing it to rev faster, and smoother. after this is done jsut to be an ass get the rods and crank cryo treated (the same process is used to make plane hulls). it will make the lower end almost unbreakable. not that your really need to the stock crank lasts up to 700 hp.

·
Turbo Freak
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i know i was just trying to tell him my motors is already built and what he told me to do would not do much. i love the svt and my H&Rs my car handles SO good.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
i heard a nasty rumor about the n2o eating the vanes in the supercharger. but if its ok then go for it. jsut prepared to adress the fueling system on top of it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I agree with these guys. The bottom end on our cars is great. Crank is already amazing balanced, piston oil squirters, and 10.2:1 compression if i'm not mistaken. Personally i wouldn't go N/A with our cars simply becuase everything i have read says these cars are nearly as good as they are gonna get that way from the factory....unless of course, as stated, you wanna spend a decent some of money. A SC is def. best bang for the buck but as i found out i think a turbo has more gains and is a bit safer to the engine. Either way FI is a wonderful thing, i will equipping my car a with an EVO 3 16G quite shortly actually and im stoked.

Andrew

·
Turbo Freak
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so basically what my friend was telling me to do is a jackass move.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
yup.

and stooge. how can a turbo be safer? i know its not as massive of boost down low (saving driveline bits) but a supercharger doesnt have to have all the blow off valves and other stuff jsut to be run safely with no fears of popping the mill.

not trying to argue,lol. but yes a turbo has the most gains, on anything.

·
Registered
400 Posts
When you use a SC its a parasitic engine drain, basically it takes horspower to make it. it put more tension on the belt, all the pullies and the engine itself. The Turbo is somewhat of a "free horsepower". It doesn't really take anything to spin the turbine. And its more controlable.

Andrew

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
good point. there have been issues with my version of focus (a zetec five speed) and the numberone main bearing going out due to stress.
that and my buddies power steering pump blew out. but i think that might have been bad luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts