Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Before I make the correction, could you provide me with an official quote/link from Royal Purple?

I think it's relevant for us to list the recommended oil types in this thread. I would rather owners be able to find all of the recommend oils in once place, and give them the ability to research my sources to make up their own minds on the oil types.

So far I have not found an analytical scientific explanation of which oil type we should really be using. I think the safest bet is to use the Motorcraft XT-M5-QS which is why I placed it at the top of the list.

-------------------------------------

Post out to everyone.

I would love to have a longer final gear in the transmission for lower RPMs on the highway. I would need to hookup a wide-band O2 sensor and perform data logging to build a fuel map in order to calculate the optimal final gearing for higher speed/better MPG driving. I think having a longer final gear we could achieve better MPG and keep the RPMs lower on the highway - 3,000 RPMs at 70MPG is retarded for 6th gear...
Grabbed this clip from RP's website because I was about to buy the Synchromax. They are listing HPS 10w-40 for oem XT-M5-QS

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
-------------------------------------

Post out to everyone.

I would love to have a longer final gear in the transmission for lower RPMs on the highway. I would need to hookup a wide-band O2 sensor and perform data logging to build a fuel map in order to calculate the optimal final gearing for higher speed/better MPG driving. I think having a longer final gear we could achieve better MPG and keep the RPMs lower on the highway - 3,000 RPMs at 70MPG is retarded for 6th gear...
Sent you an email through the board with some information that might be helpful.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hello Focus Community,

(DO NOT USE) Royal Purple Synchromax (Link)
Part Number: 12512
Note: Thanks to FF user spikedbat for verifying that Royal Purple does NOT recommend using Synchromax in our transmission. They recommend using Royal Purple 31140 HPS 10W-40 instead. Anyone currently using Sychromax in their transmission should drain and replace ASAP.

Royal Purple HPS 10W-40 (Link)
Part Number: 31140
I want to update this. I actually called Royal Purple and spoke to a tech. I was lucky that I got a tech who actually has owned an SVT for the last while and says that Synchromax is fine to use and he has used it in his Getrag SVT for years now. I believe he said both would work, however it's easier to find Synchromax on the shelf of the store and HPS is hard to find.. So no worries on using the Synchromax!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I want to update this. I actually called Royal Purple and spoke to a tech. I was lucky that I got a tech who actually has owned an SVT for the last while and says that Synchromax is fine to use and he has used it in his Getrag SVT for years now. I believe he said both would work, however it's easier to find Synchromax on the shelf of the store and HPS is hard to find.. So no worries on using the Synchromax!
Thanks Spike, I tweaked the notes and added a link to your posts.

I also added a link to Jerry AkA gsfent Getrag gearing ratio discussion thread. Check it out http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/svt-performance-2002-2004/590001-getrag-285-gearing.html he has already acquired a mini cooper S Getrag and is working on the gear swaps.

We're rooting for you Jerry! [headbang]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks Spike, I tweaked the notes and added a link to your posts.

I also added a link to Jerry AkA gsfent Getrag gearing ratio discussion thread. Check it out http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/svt-performance-2002-2004/590001-getrag-285-gearing.html he has already acquired a mini cooper S Getrag and is working on the gear swaps.

We're rooting for you Jerry! [headbang]
Thanks!!

I'll update in both places.

I have acquired a ring gear (and a diff if anyone is looking for one). I was hoping to just make a new ring gear. But given the rather large change in the ratios, it looks like I will need to change the ring gear and both final drive gears (one from each layshaft). So if anyone knows of a busted transmission where I can acquire (cheaply) the two final drive gears, I can then get new gearsets made from the templates.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey guys not sure if i am even in the right place although it seems to be. I am having trouble getting my 03 FSVT into reverse. It is hard to push it always goes in first unless i use two hands and i don't want to force it and break something.
Any advice on how to resolve this issue.....

Thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hey guys not sure if i am even in the right place although it seems to be. I am having trouble getting my 03 FSVT into reverse. It is hard to push it always goes in first unless i use two hands and i don't want to force it and break something.
Any advice on how to resolve this issue.....

Thanks
I think that's normal, there is sort of a lump you have to push through before you're able to shift into reverse. You might need to adjust (at the transmission) the shifter cables. Otherwise, while in neutral, try moving the shifter to the far right, then slap it over to the far left to clear the lump and push it into reverse.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ok thanks, it just seems harder than it did a month ago. One more stupid question. Adjustment of the cables at the trans, do i shorten them or.... I have never looked at it but wont be able to until the weekend at it is my DD

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey, guys, I am about to order new CV axles. So are the ones posted from the eBay store a good example or bad example? Let me know because I need to order them ASAP.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hey, guys, I am about to order new CV axles. So are the ones posted from the eBay store a good example or bad example? Let me know because I need to order them ASAP.
I have had horrific luck with all of the 'new' and rebuilt Ford SVT axles. I eventually found a nice junk yard axle that I used. The other alternative would have been to order a Ford OEM unit but those are very pricey. Looking back through all of the hassle and time I wasted I would have just thrown down the money and purchased a new one from Ford.

If you don't want to spend the money for a Ford OEM unit then here is what I recommend you do. Go to NAPA or another auto parts store of your choice and order or pull all as many CV axles as they can. Heck order 5 of them and return the ones you don't want.

Once you have all of the axles in from of you on a table, check and compare each of them. Pick them up and twist them to feel the tolerances in the hub, count the threads, look them over carefully. A lot of them have the wrong spline thread count, or the fluid profile is wrong, or the hubs are 'rebuilt' but horribly warn and have a lot of play.

Get as many axles in front of you at one time and pick the best one if you can find it.

Pro tip: I recently discovered that NAPA will sometimes place brand new CV Axles in rebuilt boxes. This is another reason why it's always go to go through the lot and pick out the best units you can find.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
I have had horrific luck with all of the 'new' and rebuilt Ford SVT axles. I eventually found a nice junk yard axle that I used. The other alternative would have been to order a Ford OEM unit but those are very pricey. Looking back through all of the hassle and time I wasted I would have just thrown down the money and purchased a new one from Ford.

If you don't want to spend the money for a Ford OEM unit then here is what I recommend you do. Go to NAPA or another auto parts store of your choice and order or pull all as many CV axles as they can. Heck order 5 of them and return the ones you don't want.

Once you have all of the axles in from of you on a table, check and compare each of them. Pick them up and twist them to feel the tolerances in the hub, count the threads, look them over carefully. A lot of them have the wrong spline thread count, or the fluid profile is wrong, or the hubs are 'rebuilt' but horribly warn and have a lot of play.

Get as many axles in front of you at one time and pick the best one if you can find it.

Pro tip: I recently discovered that NAPA will sometimes place brand new CV Axles in rebuilt boxes. This is another reason why it's always go to go through the lot and pick out the best units you can find.
Pretty crappy that they just throw crap out like that & then you can'y even use it. Either they step up & do it right or not at all.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Excessive axle play

Hello,
I have a 2004 Focus SVT and have noticed that there is excessive axle play.
As in rotational back and forth. Very noticeable when in 1st. gear and letting off the gas pedal.
I have lifted the car and have checked the play. There is no play in the CV joints.
Just seems like something is worn inside the transmission but I am not sure what it could be. Maybe the differential?
Any suggestions would greatly help.

Also, if the transmission needs work, does anybody know of a shop in Michigan that has a lot of experience with the Focus SVT transmission?

Thanks,

Tony

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Play felt in first gear is primarily from motor/trans mounts, the roll restrictor (dogbone mount) at the bottom rear is the main one.

You can have more than you'd think in the trans., much less when axles work together than when you try to feel it by rotating a single wheel.

Won't be excessive without a broken transmission, and there are virtually no parts avail. for rebuild (never were).

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was reinstalling my transmission and broke this white sensor. Does anyone know what it's for? What's it called? I need to replace it. Would probably be easier to replace while the tranny is out.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was reinstalling my transmission and broke this white sensor. Does anyone know what it's for? What's it called? I need to replace it. Would probably be easier to replace while the tranny is out.

Wonder if that is the reverse gear sensor for tail lights. Not positive but that is my closest guess at a glance.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts