Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a white SVT front bumper off of ebay for $250 shipped....

It DOES need to be repaired. There's a crack near the driver's foglight... but I figured that since I have to have it repainted to match my black focus, the bodyshop could weld it.

Does anyone know about how much I can expect to pay to have the repair done and the bumper repainted?

And does anyone who live in the Detroit area have a bodyshop they can recommend?

Thanks!

·
Registered
759 Posts
what would they be welding? its all plastic

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Lol..thats what i was thinking....unless he plans to "re-melt" it back together magically somehow....but with a small aluminum bar epoxied right behind the crack...some sanding and body mud...you could make it dissapear...

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are a number of fix-it options available for urethane bumpers nowadays. And yes, one of the fixes is that they heat the plastic up and fuse it together. The process is in fact called "welding" even though it's plastic. There are also 3-m products available.

I did a lot of research before the purchase.

I just figure I would have the bodyshop do it since they're going to be painting it anyways. Seeing as I bought the bumper for $162 before shipping, I think I can do with a little crack that gets repaired.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Used bumper off ebay: $250.00
Bodyshop paint, repair, and install: $300.00

Getting an SVT front bumper to replace your messed up stock front bumper for $50 over your deductible:

priceless.

This will be done on wednesday. Will post pics :)

BTW, anyone know if the sedan fogs will fit the SVT fog housings?

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Black&Tan said:
$9??? now that's something I like to hear....

Hard to fix? Would it be better just to let the bodyshop handle it?
Yup, each tube costs approx $9-$11. It is 1oz of basically liquid urethane. It can repair cracks, small dents or divots, scrapes on the bumper...

Here's my before damage.

this is it grinded and sanded down

Here's the SEM bumper repair GOOP

and when you use ton's more, add 40 hours labor, you end up something like this.

[:)]

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BTW foci Fosho... that looks really nice. Great job on it!

DId you have a lot of experience with body work? Was it difficult?

I'm typically a DIY'er, I swapped in my SVT suspension. But bodywork i'm not so sure about...

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
I have zero experience with body work.
It's not too difficult. Just time-consuming.

I had no fear in messing up as the bumper was already damaged, and I had one ordered from focus central back when they were in business...

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
i had split in my bumper when i slid off the road in the snow. cracked it pretty good in 3 places so i went up to sears hardware and bought some of the $4.00 2 ton epoxy and some mesh i found laying around. cleaned the back of bumper really good and applied a couple layers. worked great but i still have the crack. so i might consider that gunk stuff to smooth it all out. i'll need my fender and hood painted under warrenty so i'll make them paint the bumper too saying i want it all to match and be the same color.

also why was that svt bumper "white"? still $250 is still a great price. they cost 400-450 before shipping new for the front and rear seperately.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.