Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum, here it is. I was tired of my fogs filling up with water, I went through 2 sets and always had the same problem, I've put silicone all around and it looked completely sealed but water would still get in, and from the outside it looked like I had little fish bowls for fogs.

Anyway long story short an idea of projector retrofit crossed my mind and I started looking everywhere, it must've been done before, but the only couple threads that I found were about a complete project and no guidance.

So I'll try to make it easier for people who want it done too.

Not knowing anything about retrofits or projectors, I went with a very common projector that's used for retrofits, IFX infinity style projectors. They have very good reviews and I found them for a good price and DDM on syber monday. To get started I watched a few vids on retrofits on youtube, and some were very helpful.

Little I knew was that a 3" lens is huge comparing to the fogs we have.

Where the metal projector housing meets the reflector, there are gaps and since its a fog light, and it's highly exposed to water, I taped all the cracks and gaps with an aluminum tape, make sure to go over every little opening, a tiny hole can lead to condensation inside the projector.

The fog light housing is a thick carbonated aluminum and it's hard to cut through, so I measured the lens diameter with a caliper and marked it on the back with a marker, then drilled closely on the inside of the line, then chipped it with pliers (don't cut too much, excess can always be trimmed later)

Shave the rough edges with a rotary tool

To hide the black silicone and all the imperfections I pained the housing black. Plus the chrome was already damaged by water.

be sure to go over the entire circumference with silicone, I used the ultra black RV silicone, because it's automotive and petroleum resistant.

to check for any possible holes, go to a dark place, put a flashlight behind the housing and see if any light penetrates through.

Even though I used JB weld, I decided to add more support to it, JB weld is extremely strong but it's also very brittle and a nice pot hole can crack a weld which means loosing your projector down the road.

I drilled a hole at the base of each side support, ran a wire through and soldered the ends to bolts that would go through the mounting holes of the projector.

Because of the size of the projector I had to trim the adjuster bolt, this means that I can only adjust it with a screw driver now

And here's a complete pic of both of them

These projectors are bi-xenon, if the 2 red wires are connected to high beams, a solinoid on the bottom of the projector drops changing the pattern. This means that if you do a fog light mod, when your high beams are on you'll have 4 lights beaming. My lights are not in the car yet, the JB weld is still curing overnight, but I'll post this weekend with an update.

If you're looking to do it, I suggest going with a 2.5" lens, there will be a lot more clearance and less trimming.

Thank you for reading.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks @pasta

Quick update:
once the JB weld cured I decided to put it through a test, so I filled up a bowl with water and dipped the assembled projector in there, welll...... it failed terribly, water got both in the projector and under the lens.
So I put a s..t ton more silicone to ensure the water resistance.
Yesterday I finally put them on the car, it was a rainy day and I drove for a while and they're still dry, no fog or condensation. The light output is astonishing, I can hardly tell if they're even on looking from an angle, but then looking at it straight ahead it's like another set of headlights.
I definitely love the outcome, even though it's a little strange that the fog projectors are bigger than the headlight ones lol.
Enjoy the pics.

and the fog light mod goes along with it quite nicely

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,213 Posts
The fogs from the previous gen Fusion are very popular with retofitters because they work really well and they work with HIDs. The lens is under 2" I think.

My folks had a rental '10 Fusion and when I turned on the fogs I was impressed, they were like a set of headlights on their own.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sure it would've worked better but I ended up going a harder way around, I'm gladly surprised though. They put out a ton of light and technically I don't even need headlights, my Hellas put out a lot more light though, but both together it looks killer

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I hooked up the high beam solinoids to the high beams today, I'll take a pic possibly tomorrow.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,213 Posts
I'm sure it would've worked better but I ended up going a harder way around, I'm gladly surprised though. They put out a ton of light and technically I don't even need headlights, my Hellas put out a lot more light though, but both together it looks killer
I'm sure they are bright, you basically have a low set of headlights with 3" projectors. If you had Machs I wonder what the sound of four high beam solenoids clicking at once sounds like, lol.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I noticed that my headlights are significantly brighter than the fogs, and I decided to check for hella projectors, after I found a set I realized exactly why they're so much brighter, just the projectors alone are $550.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts