Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm just wondering, i havnt done alot of research on this... but my friend was wanting to get a fast nimble car... and i found a SVT contour forsale here... I told him i bet it'd be a damn good car. As far as i know i beleive it should be faster? Power output from 200-210, something like that and it weighs around 3000?

But does the SVTC handle as well? has anyone raced them, or with them... and i'm sure there's a few people on here that own both. just doing some scooping.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I'm not sure which Contours have this, but some models have Nylon gears in the transmission to reduce weight and cost. The only problem is that they're NYLON, and they wear out fairly easily.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Here's the specs anyway:

2000 Ford Contour SVT Sedan

Engine: DOHC 2.5L 24 valve V6

Engine displacement: 152 cubic inches

Horsepower: 200 @ 6,600 rpm

Torque: 169 lbs-ft. @ 5,500 rpm

Compression Ratio 10.25:1

Curb Weight: 3,110 lbs.

Engine bore x stroke: 3.2" x 3.1"

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Yes the SVTC handles very well just like our SVTF I would buy both if I could there was a SVTC for sale at the hole in the wall dealership in my town but before I could go look at it the dealship dissappeared. any ways Yes the SVTC is a great car IMO I have driven various model years of non SVT contours they were all great handling cars and the V6 was great too though I wished they had a manual. The SVTC comes with our MTX75 transsmison I just have never driven one of those. Now the SVTC V6 is a peaker motor compared to the non-170hp contour motor so its a little weaker on the bottom end but it greatly makes up for that on the top end. The SVTF prototypes had the V6 from the SVTC in them but for reasons unknown ford decided againts using them in the focus interesting huh.

·
Dragon Warrior
309 Posts
not to mention you can so a 3.0L swap from a taurus and gain 30 lb. ft of torque at least.

contours guys use the heads and cams from the SVT for increased compression. The 3.0l already has over 10-1 compression and then they up it with smaller heads. also the SVT cams are the same lift as the taurus but are longer duration. they also stick with their intake manifold because it has a true secondary system unlike the 3.0l taurus.

I drove my friends 3.0l swap last year and all i can say is "damn I have never felt secondaries change the power output that much before (apart from and 4bbl v-8) I said this as they opened and it pushed me into the back seat.

·
Obama Can't Gymkhana
8,569 Posts
Contour=ugly IMO SVT Contours=Coolio Looking.
I raced one before. It had Exhaust and who know what else. HE did pretty good but I still beat him.
YAY!

·
Turbo!!!!
5,797 Posts
HTPerformance owns both you should check with him.

·
Registered
252 Posts
the official acceleration numbers for the Focus and Contour are very close. the handling of the Contour is a little softer than the focus though (bigger and heavier).

·
Registered
10 Posts
I actually raced one, both me and the guy were stock and I slowly pulled away, could be his driving could be the car, dont know didnt talk to the guy but i felt good.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Wouldn't it be interesting to get ahold of one of those SVTC V6's and drop it in a SVTF?

I think I may have just found a winter project.............hmmmm
(drooling......twin.........ttt..ttt..tt turbos.....)))))

·
Registered
549 Posts
this was discussed numerous times, most agree its a drivers race. i have never ran one, but from what i have heard they run very close to an svt.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts

·
Dragon Warrior
309 Posts
not to mention if you go to the svt website in concept vehicles they had a v6 focus in there albeit not an SVT engine though.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^^^ poor damng frog... i've heard about hitching a ride but REALLY!

Anyway... No matter what i love how the SVTC's look. SO much better then the regualar ones... in my opinion their a bigger change then the SVTF's... More people at least notice... Its probably those damn nice chrome duals... i wish we had those...

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
SVTC's are very nice cars. I almost bought one of them instead of the SVTF, but I couldn't find one around with low mileage. I would think they would handle quite well. Probably not as good as the SVTF, but very close. The acceleration I don't think would be much different because it's a 5-speed instead of 6-speed and the torque is not that much better, still better though mind you, but not that great.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
If I could have swung the financing back in '02, I would have bought one. Very very nice cars, a great chassis and willing engine with plenty of space and a nice ride.

There's a guy who races with the Mustang club locally who has 2. One is a stock street car, and the other is a former Bondurant School car, with a full cage and some nice uber-professional work throughout.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
like it was said before its a drivers race between the two cars. Most people who did get a SVTC probably could'nt drive it right anyways like I said before the motor is alot peakier (narrower power band) than the non svts. So someone racing one if they don't keep it on the boil then they will lose.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
^ yep. i found one with low miles and one owner for my friend which he turned around and bought it[:D]. everytime we could cruise, he'd want to race at every stop light. we were both stock but i would get him every time. sad thing now is that he's got a 04 mustang gt [:(] guess who's playing catchup now...

very very sweet and nice looking cars. i looked into one long ago but couldn't finf the one i was wanting, silver with the black leather and moonroof oh and low miles and owners lol. some day i will have one...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts