Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
here's the deal. soon i want to be looking for another SVT focus(wrecked of course) and put in the 2003-04 4.6L DOHC Cobra engine and drivetrain and the supercharger into the focus. is there enough room in the engine compartment for all this to fit? I know about the V8 conversions with the 351 and 302's and stuff but i want the SC cobra drivetrain in my focus. this will be my project as i hope to complete it, but other things have to come first like buying my house with a garage to work on it and a age couple more years so i can be 25 for insurance reasons lol [:)~]. this has always been a dream of mine back when i first heard about the Kugel Komponents v8 conversion packege for the focus years ago.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Re: SVT Focus + SS Cobra Drivetrain Conversion

OrangeSVTguy said:
here's the deal. soon i want to be looking for another SVT focus(wrecked of course) and put in the 2003-04 4.6L DOHC Cobra engine and drivetrain and the supercharger into the focus. is there enough room in the engine compartment for all this to fit? I know about the V8 conversions with the 351 and 302's and stuff but i want the SS cobra drivetrain in my focus. this will be my project as i hope to complete it, but other things have to come first like buying my house with a garage to work on it and a age couple more years so i can be 25 for insurance reasons lol [:)~]. this has always been a dream of mine back when i first heard about the Kugel Komponents v8 conversion packege for the focus years ago.

the cobra engine is a 4.6[paranoid] , isnt that a gt

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
You're looking at ~20k to do it right...... IF you do ALL the work yourself.

Dont get me wrong.. nothing wrong at all with stuffing a V-8 into places its not ment to be... I've done a couple of those projects myself.

EDIT: Thats if you use the NON-blown Cobra engine.

·
teh tranny killer
3,130 Posts
why not just get get a zx3 if your gonna gut the engine out neway

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Re: Re: SVT Focus + SS Cobra Drivetrain Conversion

madmark10 said:
ALL Cobra engines from 1996 to 2004 are 4.6 dohc

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gt's are sohc while the cobra's are dohc and i want the blower in there too. just wondering if that would fit. and i know it will cost about $20k total that would be the budget i was going for [:)~] i was wanting this more for show which is why i want the cobra + blower and svt focus instead of a normal zx3 v8 conversion. maybe i might save a little money too with help of friends... a case of beer can go a long way [;)]

·
Registered
356 Posts
the blower will work... it just will stick up about 8 - 12 inches over the top of the hood, all old school blower action :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
I don't think anyone will want to race you if they see that.......

·
Registered
183 Posts
I second that notion... i wanna be your friend!

I mean really, how many people here would about $h!t themselves if they saw a damn blower like that com'n outta the hood of a focus...

But just think about how crazy the weight disprabution (horrible speller and dont care) would be if a V8 was in the front of the damn car!?

Go for it!!

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i've heard from many sources that the weight distrubution front to rear is 50/50. i also will plan on fitting cobra r tires and cobra badging just as if it were a real cobra, but on a focus instead. just want to build a complete cobra conversion into a focus. time will only tell.

·
Registered
511 Posts
But use suspension and brake upgrades for a Focus. Also, if you are gonna spend that amount of money already, I would have the whole front (bumper, fenders, and hood) be made out of carbon fiber to keep the weight down (painted so it would look factory of course). Check out Focus RS8 vs. Lamborghini Gallardo
Its weight distribution is 56/44. And it beat the Lambo in every performance category. Not bad......

·
Registered
210 Posts
Re: Re: SVT Focus + SS Cobra Drivetrain Conversion

madmark10 said:
[poke] [bash]

anyways...
Yea man, it's a tight fit, the 4.6 is a wide motor, but someone has it done already. Under the stock hood too. A shit ton of custom intake/exhaust work. I'll see if I can find the link on SVTP for you...

You saw the 343 stroker one right? [burnout]

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I thin sean Hyland is doing something along these lines.
anyways good luck to you.

you kind lose the "sleeper" effect when you have a blower sticking out the top.

This on the other hand is the car I might get. 1961 AMC Rambler Classic. The guy down the street is selling one for $1000 43k miles. Can anyone say Small block chevy? [hihi]

Logan

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I say if you have the resources, go for it... just keep in mind, that's a BIG project... it's not gonna happen overnight, or in a weekend with buddies helping..

plan on spending all your free time for 6 months fabricating parts, test fitting, pulling stuff back apart that doesn't fit right etc... the end result will be cool, but its gonna take some blood sweat and tears to get there.

If you have a live-in girlfriend or wife, get her approval early on, cause she will nag the crap out of you about it if she doesn't support the project, trust me

I've done a few crazy conversions in the past, (not a focus, but other vehicles that were never designed to have V-8, or 4wd or both...)

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah it's something that i plan on doing soon. like i said after i have my house with a big garage. and this isn't some weekend project. i figured may a year or 2 would be my time i figured i'd spend on this. as i want to keep this mainly for show and cruises, it will see track time too however[thumb]

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
The cobra engine with the blower does fit.....i used to have a pic of it...but i lost it when my hard drive crashed...anywho...it has been done before :)

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
nice. thanks ^. did it fit with the stock hood or was it raised? i would like to keep it stock or maybe a cf hood. i didn't want it hanging out through my hood like the pic Logan175 posted. i like big blowers peeking through muscle cars, but the focus is no muscle car lol even with the bigger engine.

·
Registered
524 Posts
The blower on the 03-04 Cobras hardly sticks up more then the 99-01 intakes. It should fit with minimal massaging. Giter done!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts