Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a focus to make a Daily Driver all year round and take some of the expensive miles I put on my F150 for stupid errands. I'm stuck between the SVT or a ZX3. I will do some light mods. I can't help myself I always do. So which is the better buy. Is one more problematic than the other? Which is the best deal in your opionion. Looking for any input I tried searching but couldn't find a link to cover this. Any help appreciated.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
I'd say it depends on a few things.
If you're looking for really good gas mileage, the ZX3.
If you're looking for the most fun car as is, the Svt.
If you're looking for a car that you can buy really cheap, use hard for a couple years, and than trash it (doesn't sound like you're this kind of driver but you never know), the ZX3 is a better choice.

Personally, if you have a choice between the two, I would hands down buy the Svt. They are just harder to find if you don't already have one for sale in mind.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Over what they said,

there are a few different engines in the foci, the 2.0 zetec, 2.0 zetec (SVT), 2.0 duratec, and the 2.3 duratec.

Of those, the SVT, and the 2.3 duratec are the most powerful, and in many ways the 2.3 is a better engine. Not only does it have more torque, its far more responsive to modifications, and tends to be a much better daily driver engine.

If you pick up a newer zx3 with the 2.3, you will find that it is definitely a better daily driver, it may be a bit slower than the SVT, but it comes with alot more comfort on the road. The mtx-75 manual transmission is a good match, and its just good.

The SVT is plagued by its gearbox and engine, it doesnt have much low-end torque, and while when its in the high rpms in the twisties its a beast, out on the road and in daily driving, you always feel like your car is a bit lethargic.

So it depends on your driving style, and what you intend to use the car for. If you want a fun performance car, go SVT, if you want a comfortable commuter car that wont give you any hassle, get a 2.3 duratec zx3.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I would be rather conflicted as well... There are many times where I wish I would have gotten a ZX3 Focus with an MTX. Don't get my wrong, I love my SVT its a great little run about. However, I think the best way you can go for a daily driver Focus is the ZX3 or ZX5 with the 2.3L motor and a 5 speed, although you really will have to fight to find one, especially a zx5.

It is the best middle ground, you get very close to SVT focus power rating, still run regular gas, still have a huge aftermarket to personalize the car, and will have cheaper insurance (not by much but it is worth mentioning).

However, if you find a really good deal on an SVT (which you can if you look around) jump on it, you won't regret it.

quick edit: ViperThreat has it spot on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all that have been helping me out. I'm looking at a Yellow EURO one now. Don't know what the deal is with it at the moment . What year did they start the 2.3L?????

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thanks to all that have been helping me out. I'm looking at a Yellow EURO one now. Don't know what the deal is with it at the moment . What year did they start the 2.3L?????
The 2.3L was offered between 2001 and 2007, it was called the "PZEV" motor, you can recognize it because the intake manifold is on the front of the motor as opposed to the back, and it has coil on plug.

If you are looking at a Yellow Euro edition you probably are looking at an SVT, in fact thats what I drive ^.^ If you find a 5 door in yellow or orange those are ultra rare.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts