Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've read up on a lot of engine knocking ticking threads on here but none seem to be exactly what i have. I start the car and the knock is there right off the bat, if I rev it the knock gets faster with the revs. I checked the fluids topped up my oil but seems it didn't change anything. I'm going out now to grab a video of the noise for everyone. It seems as though it wants to stall out at times as well. I personally think it is coming from the top end directly where the valve cover sits. I checked the motor mounts but can't do much in the way of removing them in the cold winter with no garage.

Do you recommend me removing the spark plug cover and pulling each plug while it's running to check to see if the knock lessens, to see if it is in one of the cylinders. The noise doesn't go away with it being at idle or revving like some have.

The knocking is loud on cold start up but slowly dies down to a quieter knock once the car has reached its desired temperature, but will continue to knock louder if the car is revved. Any help would be greatly appreciated, at my ends with this car, one thing after the next with it.

Video of the knocking/ticking
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2e0q3d_svt-focus-engine-knock-ticking_auto

·
Registered
637 Posts
"Do you recommend me removing the spark plug cover and pulling each plug while it's running to check to see if the knock lessens, to see if it is in one of the cylinders."

Yes. That will help narrow it down. If its the top end its something nasty.

It sounds a little too loud for top end though.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
LOUD in the video, though that doesn't replace actually hearing it (volume levels vary).

Go ahead & pull a plug at a time if you want, sounds like rod knock from here.

·
Registered
637 Posts
LOUD in the video, though that doesn't replace actually hearing it (volume levels vary).

Go ahead & pull a plug at a time if you want, sounds like rod knock from here.

My thoughts exactly. It's not the end of the world though. Its not as bad of a job as most people think it is

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Don't run it long that way & you can get lucky with cheap repair (comparatively).

Not a quickie to do though.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Don't run it long that way & you can get lucky with cheap repair (comparatively).

Not a quickie to do though.

By the sound of it, it might be too late for that. Crank might need to get turned. I'd drop the pan (after your sure its the bottom end of course), and see which one is bad. You can do rod bearings with the engine still in the car. Its a PITA though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts