Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been needing to do this for a long time. My mom had this car for a few years because she needed a car and I had the cobra to drive. I dont think she ever waxed it and always just drove it through the power wash and never towel dried it. The paint is swirled, interior carpet is filthy and as you can see the headlights were very hazed. I decided to do the headlights first. Then I am going to move on to paint correction and then removal of seats for a full interior cleaning.

got the lights all taped up. washed the car before this not even thinking of all the crap that was going to get thrown all over the place. Here you can see some of the haze from my iphone pics

close up showing hazing

sanding and polishing

finished product. Looks almost new!

close up showing the huge improvement

I used the 3m headlight restoration kit. These lights are pretty large so I used all of the sanding discs from the kit. To protect the lights I used diamondite headlight armor spray and will be putting a couple coats of that on. If its not working/lasting then I will give them a polish again and have my buddy spray some uv clear on them.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Nice. I am going to be needing to do this to mine shortly. How much does the 3M kit cost? What else do you need that it doesn't come with? Thanks

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice. I am going to be needing to do this to mine shortly. How much does the 3M kit cost? What else do you need that it doesn't come with? Thanks
You'll need a variable speed electric drill, a bucket of water with a sponge to keep things wet, a microfiber to buff with when completed, a few hours time, and something to protect the plastic with when you are completed. some people have used a uv clear. some use wax every month or so but I decided to try out diamondite headlight armor. They suggest spraying it on and buffing it off every 3 months or so. I will post back in a few months and let everyone know how it is working out.

I think I got the kit at the local auto parts store for under $20. Check autogeek.net for a variety of products for use on headlights.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,213 Posts
Good job! There are a lot of different ways to do this, I wet sanded with 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 sandpaper. After that I used Meguiars Plastix polish on a crappy orbital buffer that I have and they came out looking new. They even had that brand new rainbow effect on the plastic again.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good job! There are a lot of different ways to do this, I wet sanded with 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 sandpaper. After that I used Meguiars Plastix polish on a crappy orbital buffer that I have and they came out looking new. They even had that brand new rainbow effect on the plastic again.
oh man. that's a bunch of work by hand. I wet sanded and buffed the catback on my cobra by hand. Spent a few hours a night over 3 weeks time while stuck in kansas city during jan/feb in blizzard. Power tools FTW!

Now I just need to find a full day to devote the use of my porter cable 7424xp to shine up the paint to match the headlights.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,213 Posts
oh man. that's a bunch of work by hand. I wet sanded and buffed the catback on my cobra by hand. Spent a few hours a night over 3 weeks time while stuck in kansas city during jan/feb in blizzard. Power tools FTW!

Now I just need to find a full day to devote the use of my porter cable 7424xp to shine up the paint to match the headlights.
It's not as bad as it sounds, but I did do each light on a different day. The power buffer went a long way for sure! The first time I did it last year it took me two hours per light, my Machs were FUBAR hazed and I did the whole process twice. I just did it again so I could put Xpel film on them so they will stay that way. It took me less than an hour per light this time.

I had a mustang and I know how much time it took to sand and polish metal, that's why I never did it. lol

·
Registered
941 Posts
Much better. Why don't you Lamin-x them?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not as bad as it sounds, but I did do each light on a different day. The power buffer went a long way for sure! The first time I did it last year it took me two hours per light, my Machs were FUBAR hazed and I did the whole process twice. I just did it again so I could put Xpel film on them so they will stay that way. It took me less than an hour per light this time.

I had a mustang and I know how much time it took to sand and polish metal, that's why I never did it. lol
On a cobra polishing the catback is worth every penny since it stands out so much from behind the car.

Much better. Why don't you Lamin-x them?
some uv clear would be an easier and cheaper option. For now though I just plan on testing out the diamondite to see how well it works.

·
Registered
941 Posts
How is that light now JK, UPDATE NEEDED!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yeah, I'd have a pro Lamin-X them to protect your hard work (great job, BTW).

I paid "only" around $80 to have it done when I got all-new lights - and they still look new.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Yeah, he did all this work on these and got in an accident less than a month later. Busted up that headlight pretty bad.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, he did all this work on these and got in an accident less than a month later. Busted up that headlight pretty bad.
oh and it was way way longer than a month. its been almost a month since the jerkoff ran the red light and then took off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts