Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a 2003 SVT Focus in need of a lot of work that I plan to autocross in H Street next season in our local club. I have been racing my 2008 Audi A3 FWD DSG in Street class for the last two years and have had a blast, but wanted a car I could enjoy working on that wasn't too expensive to fix.

Audi A3 in Action

After a lot of work (see updates in the Builds & General Showroom forum), we took the SVT out for its first race last weekend at a neighboring club up in Oregon. This was the first time I drove the car aggressively and my first time autocrossing a SVT Focus. It was an absolute blast. The SVT handled really well, and had decent power, but I had a few missed shifts and in general was pretty sloppy as a driver. This was a weekend enduro event, so it was about 15 laps of practice and a 5 lap main event.

2016 SSCC Fall Enduro

Video (5 minutes, some wind noise)

Out of 70 entrants, we were 61st for overall time and 36th in PAX (handicap time). For a first time out, I think it was a respectable showing, and the car has a ton of potential. We brought home a trophy as no one else brought an H Street car to the event.

Our local club has our last event of the year next weekend, and I plan to race the SVT to get more seat time for next year. There are a few improvements needed for the car as well, mostly the shifter is a sloppy mess and I don't have 200 tw tires, but I'll work on that stuff over the winter and by our first race in April next year, I should be ready.

I doubt I will come close to the class leading H Street car in our club, a Fiesta ST, but I know I will have fun trying.

·
Super Moderator
8,853 Posts
Awesome! Glad you had fun.

Alex the machinist (I think that's his name on here and on Facebook...) Makes plenty of bushings for our cars, fairly cheap and good quality too. He had some shifter sets that I would look into it I were you. I'll try and find a link for you.
I don't think there are rules on shifter bushings and if there is I doubt anyone would look there... Safe bet

Iirc H Street allows dampers(Koni yellows), 1 sway bar (do the rear) to be added to your car as well. I would highly recommend doing those. A drop in filter is in the option book too for something cheap and easy.

Enjoy!

Sent from a man with a broken focus

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
Sounds like you had a great time,,,,,,,a few upgrades I'd do as Nate mentioned Koni yellows & a rear bar,,,,,,,,,

·
FUBARCUS
7,763 Posts
I have started autox again myself. I will be working on becoming more competitive for STF class in my Focus. Looks like you have been having tons of fun with your car!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts