Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my factory original clutch/flywheel on my '02 SVT swapped out for a CM Stg3/Fidanza combo, and right on the clutch there are 2 imprints stamped into the metal, one says "Ford" and one says LuK with a part number. I thought this was an interesting find, and never heard any mention of it before...

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
The clutch makers dont usually make all the components theirselves. They will use basic pieces like the main pressure plate housing or other pieces from main mfg's. Its cheaper to source out parts like that that are abundant and save the cost of making that part when not needed.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My stock clutch has LuK brand on it also. Changed it to ceramic today. I've heard some things that installing ceramic clutch gives a lot of stress to gearbox and it might even break. Is that true? Has anyone heard of such things happening to svt?

·
Registered
66 Posts
With our clutch and tranny, "LuK" is exactly what we need to make it to 100k without having to change out the clutch once...or twice...or a couple times more. :)

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Off topic but how the hell did you make 205whp at 4psi? My kit in base trim only made 190whp at 5psi and I also had an intake and throttle body?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I replaced my Luk....with a Luk. They have a version for the SVT that's suppose to clamp 20% harder than stock. I've got a stack of time slips, and had run out of friction material. There was no mechanical problems with the stock clutch other than that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Off topic but how the hell did you make 205whp at 4psi? My kit in base trim only made 190whp at 5psi and I also had an intake and throttle body?
Well there's a few things to consider...

-My Boost guage could be off, and I could've also been at or around 5 PSi, putting us both at an equal boost. HOWEVER, boost guages measure resistance so if I really was at 4PSi and you were at 5, that could translate to you having a bogged cat and less exhaust flow(or something else restricting flow somewhere), choking some of your power. More boost isn't always better if it's restricted flow causing it.

-No 2 engines are the same from the factory. Dyno 2 stock SVT's side by side and you won't get the same readings.

-I came over here from FocalJet and I had some lengthy discussion with Oscar Jackson there about what's best for the supercharger because I too was thinking about going TB and Intake like you have, I just wanted to get the most out of it. It turns out when he and his team were designing the kit, they tried dynoing multiple intakes and surprisingly the stock SVT airbox with a K&N drop-in filter made the most power. More than a SRI, and more than a CAI. You have an intake, I have the stock box with a K&N.

-Other small things like clogged Fuel Injectors, quality of gas at the time of dyno, which wheels you have on and what they weigh etc. etc. all contribute to the readings you get from the dyno.

With all that taken into consideration, 15whp isn't that big of a difference. I've seen 5-8 whp variance alone on one stock car to another...

[dunno]

-Eric

1 - 8 of 8 Posts