Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever seen an Escape with the SVT Focus motor. I have a 4 cyl 5 speed Escape and an SVT motor and 6 speed transmission. It seems like it should work but I have never heard of anyone doing it.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
I could work, but you'd be putting a motor desgined to move a 2900 lbs car into a 3200 lbs truck. The gearing on the transmission might need to be adjusted to keep you on powerband so you can keep that truck lumbering.

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
I would suggest using the Escape tranny. Interested to see what comes of this.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Yeah, either use the Escape tranny, since it should bolt right up, or shed 300+ pounds from the truck.

Shedding the weight might be a good way to go. Get it to SVT weight, upgrade the suspension and have a smoking fast SUV.

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
Then turbo it.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Might even have enough room under the hood for a twin turbo set up. One little, one big.

Little one can spool up qucik to cover you on lag, the big one can get that baby moving.

Didn't the escape come in an all wheel drive guise?

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Since we've turned this into a giant project, you might want to look into the AWD set up.

·
Registered
495 Posts
why not just mod the 6 that comes in that thing? ....need moarz em-p-geez?

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Few problems i see:

1. the escape comes with a 2.3l which has 150-171 hp, and 150-170tq, depending on your model year. While the horsepower is very similar the torque numbers are definitely higher than the SVT. Also, the SVT is a top-end engine, below 3k, its worthless.

2. The getrag transmission is built to keep the SVT engine at or above 3k rpm, and it is also a close-ratio transmission, which means it is geared for the track, not for daily stop and go life.

What this all translates to is you having an engine that will feel gutless and lifeless when put in a car that weighs 300lb more than the vehicle designed for. And a transmission that isnt designed to pull the weight either. You will find yourself revving the engine and working the clutch ALOT more than you normally do to make the vehicle go.

If I were you, id ebay/craigslist the SVT engine, and spend that money you make on a few engine mods for what you already have. Realistically speaking, it wont be hard for you to make another 30-40 hp out of your current engine, it will be faster, and easier than swapping in a whole other engine.

OR, if you want to be cool, go buy a MZR engine from mazda, its probably the same block as yours, meaning it should be a direct bolt in, drop that 6 speed in, and have a 260hp sleeper king.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Sounds like a cool idea, but Id drop a 5.0 V8 in an escape before I would an SVT focus motor. And hello from Cincinnati! Ill be up in Dayton today to put on my exhaust and cold air intake lol

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
Few problems i see:

1. the escape comes with a 2.3l which has 150-171 hp, and 150-170tq, depending on your model year. While the horsepower is very similar the torque numbers are definitely higher than the SVT. Also, the SVT is a top-end engine, below 3k, its worthless.
The earlier ones came with a Zetec

2. The getrag transmission is built to keep the SVT engine at or above 3k rpm, and it is also a close-ratio transmission, which means it is geared for the track, not for daily stop and go life.
The SVT makes 85 percent of its peak torque by the time it reaches 2,200 rpm.

What this all translates to is you having an engine that will feel gutless and lifeless when put in a car that weighs 300lb more than the vehicle designed for. And a transmission that isnt designed to pull the weight either. You will find yourself revving the engine and working the clutch ALOT more than you normally do to make the vehicle go.

If I were you, id ebay/craigslist the SVT engine, and spend that money you make on a few engine mods for what you already have. Realistically speaking, it wont be hard for you to make another 30-40 hp out of your current engine, it will be faster, and easier than swapping in a whole other engine.

OR, if you want to be cool, go buy a MZR engine from mazda, its probably the same block as yours, meaning it should be a direct bolt in, drop that 6 speed in, and have a 260hp sleeper king.
Hop in your SVT with two friends. You can definitely feel the difference in power, but it wouldn't be completely gutless. And it's a 6 speed so you're already working the clutch a lot.

And you won't get 30-40whp out of bolts on the Zetec.

It can be done, but unless you have the ECU and harness for the engine, you're gonna need a VCT delete, tune, and a window switch for the intake runner.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
The earlier ones came with a Zetec
My cousins 05 has a duratec, didnt know they made them with a zetec.

The SVT makes 85 percent of its peak torque by the time it reaches 2,200 rpm.
At that point, its also making less than 70hp. you need another 1000 rpm before you even hit 100hp.

And you won't get 30-40whp out of bolts on the Zetec.
But you can out of a Duratec.

My point is its not going to be a worthwhile venture, even should it be a zetec based escape, the gains are minimal at best.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Engine swap now, its going to be better then the zetec so just do it if you wanted to you could turbo/supercharge it just for kicks lolz

1 - 18 of 18 Posts