Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what the differences are between the SVT 2.0 and a base Zetec 2.0.Are the cyl. heads the same?Same valves and springs?Does the SVT have more agressive cams?Is the block the same?Are the pistons forged?The Crank forged?Better rods?I realize the intake and exhaust are different as is the tune.I know where there is a complete '04 svt with low miles hit in the nose (totalled/salvage,motor runs)and was wondering if it would be worth buying to upgrade my driveline as my motor is approaching 110k miles (still strong as day one!) BUT... I want a blower. An SE with an SVT motor would be nice...then add the blower...just don't know if it's worth paying more for an SVT motor.

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
when you do the SVT swap you need a. engine, b. tranny c. wiring harness d. motor mounts e. intake and exhaust set ups. Im not totally sure about the differences in the motors, but I know the SVT is (from what i remember) an interference engine and the regular zetec isnt. They have different stroke, cam, tuning, compression, and head i believe.

·
Registered
750 Posts
If you have a complete svt to work from and your a mechanically inclined, it would be worth it. There are some huge differences between the svt and normal zetec. To start off with the bottom end, I believe the cranks are the same but the rods are different. The rods are technically forged but are wierd in that they are an atched one piece casting and then the caps are broken off. The rods are much stronger though. The pistons are a Hyperutechtic flat piston (higher compression). These are better than a cast piston because they are a little stronger and have silicone inpregnated into them. The block is basically the same block but the there is an addtional oil passage with little squirters that shoot oil onto the bottom of the piston to keep it cool.

The head is also much different. The head has variable cam timing on the intake side. This timing is controled by the computer and further by oil presure. The cams are also HUGE. I think the cams have about a .400 lift if i remember correctly. The cumbustion chambers are also smaller cc to raise compression. The vavle on the svt are larger too. The intake is about 33mm and the exhaust is 28.5mm.
If you plan on doing this swap, you might as well install the tranny too and use the complete svt wiring harness and computer. These are assential parts to the swap. You might even need the svt ignition key and steering column. Im not sure though.
I have probly missed some things here, but im sure some other knowledgable people will fill in the blanks.
If I was you and had access to that svt, I would buy the entire thing and do what ever you want to your car and dont forget about the svt brakes. There an indemand item

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
BigRed03 said:
when you do the SVT swap you need a. engine, b. tranny c. wiring harness d. motor mounts e. intake and exhaust set ups. Im not totally sure about the differences in the motors, but I know the SVT is (from what i remember) an interference engine and the regular zetec isnt. They have different stroke, cam, tuning, compression, and head i believe.
yes, you need engine, tranny, wiring harness, motor mounts, ECU!!!!, intake, exhaust, header back,

the only real similarity that the svt and zx3 have is the block... svt has variable valve timing, different rods, pistons, computer, engine wiring, exhaust, header, flex pipe, motor mounts, transmission.. sooo much more stuff.. basically, the block is the same, everything else is different.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sounds to me like you would be better off selling yours and buying and SVT...

If I keep my Zx3 for a long time i might consider putting a 302 in it....that would be a nice
sleeper....E

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Naah.No offense,but i don't like the bubble backs.Besides,for a little less than 3k,I can get the whole car.(04 svt) so it's really not a lot of money to spend for better brakes,6 speed tranny,6 disc CD,leather seats,good suspension,nice guages,and...the motor with all attached goodies.Starting to sound like a bargain to me.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Local salvage yard.I can buy the whole car for 3k.Seems like a good deal to me.Would really make for an interesting swap.An SVT SE sedan.Well.off to the Summernationals!!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
so apperently the SVT engine is gangster in almost everyway compared to the zetec

·
Registered
950 Posts
you are a lucky man to have found tht!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
You could technically run the 5speed up against the SVT engine. I would imagine that it would actually be better in some ways because of the lower 1st gear.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Was thinking that myself![thumb] I was at a car auction today and scored a silver 2001 ZX3 Zetec with 5 speed,70k miles,16" factory rims,tach,sunroof,fogs,new Proxis,CD,interior and exterior spotless for $4k.Guess the bubble backs are growing on me.The transmission shifts so smooth in this car it's incredible!Factory shifter and no mods.Wish my SE shifted this buttery nice and tight.The shift knob is silver rather than leather like my SE.Is this possibly a different trans?I thought all the Zetec Foci with the reverse lockout were the MTX-75.Mabye a newer design?Anyway,trying to decide what to do now...too many cars...not enought time....

·
Registered
38 Posts
is going salvage hunting in his neiborhood.SSSHHH i'm hunting svts!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You're too late.Someone snagged it before me!!!!Damn,I HATE when that happens.Oh well,guess Now I have to do the PW S/C.If it blows up my SE,I can swap it on to the ZX3[burnout]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts