Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car will run and start but it takes a kicking in the rear! this happened out of nowhere! car just wouldnt start one morning would just click and started to start but real sluggish like i needed a new battery..the battery was almost 6 years old so I replaced it and now with the new battery problems have gotten more intense...car will start but it surges like crazy and the dash will work and then go blank with just the engine temp and oil temp and pressure working...speedo and rpm just flat lined...its just weird I diddnt a small 1 minute video of what im expirencing...anyone know any fuses or simple things i can check first? im starting to thing battery wires or alternator...thanks

http://youtu.be/-hdpWXuHROs

please lemme know if you have any ideas[dunno]

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Move the damn steering wheel ya fool ... LOL

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Hatch wiring.
The brake and defrost is the giveaway.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Hatch wires are frayed like a mother! [:D]

Pull the rubber boot back from the wires on your hatch door and I'm sure you'll see some nice exposed wires.

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oll go check those out thanks...also when i turn my head lights on with the key in the on postition it will kill the dash and all the power inside the cab but just keep the headlgihts on...thanks guys keep the brain storming coming!

·
Registered
739 Posts
oll go check those out thanks...also when i turn my head lights on with the key in the on postition it will kill the dash and all the power inside the cab but just keep the headlgihts on...thanks guys keep the brain storming coming!
If it's not the hatch wires try cleaning up the ground connections next to your battery.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts

No more brain storming required. It's the hatch wiring.

Brakes, there's power grounding out in the wire pack.
Rear defrost, ditto.
Brakes, ditto.
Blinkers will do the same if you'd try them, or should.

If you'd pull the DS carpet back (behinds where the sub would be) and disconnect the 2 plugs, the car would run as normal.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Did you check the hatch wires yet? lol

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah. they look flawless where they are going into the hatch lid and into the car...I havent been able to dig any further but I know my problem is not there the wires look all clean and are zip tied and factory taped...i will dig further tomorrow its dark at 5pm now sucks!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
To check the car to hatch wiring, the rubber boot needs to be pulled back off the wiring.

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i diddnt wanna pull too hard but i pulled it back i think far enough both ways that they looked pretty good oll get a better look tomorrow when im not using a flashlight...im probally gonna pull my rear carpet on both sides and the trimming on the back and check everything out

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
There's no wiring on the PS. Only the DS.

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok thanks "iminhell"

and i did try the blinkers and it does the same thing just cuts off my radio and everything....im hoping my problem is something not too hard to fix...I will keep you guys updated for sure its funny this came out of nowhere

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
after inspecting the wires inside the rubber boot...i can say for sure my short has to somewhere in the hatch or in the carpeting becasue it is not in that location

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok so just dug around for about 45 minutes in the back....all my wires seem to be ok but when i pulled the headliner down to inspect the wires running underneath i noticed my rear driver side drain hose to the sunroof is totally disconnected and does not even reach to drain plug so it looks like water has just been developing up on my headliner so i gotta go run and get some hose to extend that hose.....anyways should i pull the brake lights and 3rd brake light and inspect all my wiring looks good..what a nightmare this is...glad i pulled it tho because i had my sunroof replaced like 6 months ago and the dude must of got lazy and diddnt connect the drain plug.....i need some help on places to look thanks!

im gonna post pics in a minute

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i went over everything...im gonna try disconnecting the entire harness from the back if that dosent help then i know its not the hatch wiring

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,590 Posts
I would examine the cable between the battery plus terminal and the battery junction box. May be loose, corroded, or whatever.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts