Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this subject has been gone over before but I didn't even know how to search this topic with out needing a paragraph. Generally I am a lurker on the forum. I am able to search around find what I need without making a thread or posting anything. However I had a problem today that perplexed me. I have a 2003 SVT Focus EAP 110k miles

While starting my 52mile one way commute I had something odd happen twice. About 3miles into my drive at 6AM so it was dark, hi beams were on radio was going and I was traveling about 65mph in 6th gear. I then lost power all my dash lights came on RPM's dropped but lights and radio all stayed on. It was like I had turned the key to the ON/ACC position. So I shifted to neutral to coast of the road but all the dash lights went off and the RPM's came back and the car was running. I put the car back in gear and got back up to speed. About 3 minutes later same thing happened loss of power put the car in neutral from 6th gear and boom it was working.

Me being a stubborn male I decided to continue on since there was no overheating, no weird engine noises and no check engine light. I made it to work with no other issues. I am wondering if maybe due to a bumpy road maybe a battery terminal or some wiring may have came loose, but if it was the battery it should have still ran on the ALT. Also I find it weird that when I shifted into neutral that seemed to fix the issue? Sorry for the long post but I am wondering if anyone has dealt with this before and if there is a fix?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Unless the odo went to dashes instead of numbers, first guess would be bad wiring connector to the ign. coil (at least it's something to look at)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont recall if they went to numbers or dashes. I got to work and noticed my positive connector was loose on the battery so I tightened it down good and didn't have the problem on the drive home. Hopefully that was it, I guess time will tell.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea probably a good idea. I usually get stranded at least once by my cars. I guess I shouldn't buy cheap cars but I have a fever for the Foci and got my 1st SVT from a guy at work super cheap so I'm bound to get stranded at some point hahaha.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts