Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my cousin's '03 SVT has just started doing this. I know it's a fairly common issue on SVTs, but his just started it randomly. And I've heard it happening at idle, but his does it any speed, any gear, any RPM. Also, his battery light will come on at idle sometimes (it usually drops to around 800 RPM, then the light comes on..give it a little gas and it goes away) Car has never stalled though like mine did before I got a tune.
The flickering is really bad and quite distracting. Haven't noticed if the headlights do it, or dome light or anything else.

I've heard a tune will fix the flicker usually, but I'm thinking this might be something bigger. Alternator and/or alternator wiring? My parent's Subaru had a very similar flickering problem (even headlights) and a new alternator fixed that up.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
It is fairly common for the Vr plug (3 pin connector on the side of the alternator) to fail due to loose pins in the plastic housing, or loose wires at the housing. A VR plug failure can lead to an alternator failure due to a burnt out voltage regulator.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts