Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i did a quick search and saw many topics, but nothing related to what i want to know.

I have a 2003...so a little over 3 yrs old..i am thinking about getting the progress springs- 1.8" drop... but since my car is 3 yrs old, i dont really wanna leave the stock dampers on, and im on a budget..so if i CAN afford the Eibach dampers, i'd surely get them. My question is..... if I got the SVT dampers instead, would they be adequate to support the aftermarket drop? If anyone has experience with this kind of setup, I'd appreciate some feedback. thanks!!

Mario

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Yes, they will work fine with what youre wanting to do, and FRPP has that kit for sale now. They are selling just the dampers as a kit now.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
awesome thanks!!! i know people say that under 2" drop, you can leave stock dampers for a while, but I def want to at least get the SVT setup. Thanks for the clarification!

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Yes sir.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
eazyrider_tim said:
How will it ride?
good, im hoping..lol we dont have the best streets here, thats one reason ive toally decided against the sportlines. But I wanted something more than the pro-kit drop..so I went with the middle..lol

but im hoping with that setup, it'll still be effective for daily driving..

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Ride and corner great. I have posted this several times, the suspension that i am using works so perfectly that its unreal. Ill be happy to give a list if you need it.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sure, list would be nice.. im not doing drastic upgrades, so im mainly concerned witht eh springs/dampers combo your using..but interested in the rest :)

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
Please do man, I am just like poisonivory, modding on a budget, not because I am broke but because of priorities.

I am saving for the kyb's adjustables (300.00), but if the svt dampers ride nice, then I would buy them from steve at Tousley Ford, I think he quoted me at 98.00 for all 4 svt dampers and I would do it myself and just have to get another alignment...

Umm, whats your set-up. I am riding on 1.8" Progress springs, STOCK dampers, and the stock swaybars and 225/45/17 on Enkei's. Its bouncy and soft of course, but it only rubs in the back when I hit dips or have passengers.

I want to avoid rubbing, so I plan on getting my fenders rolled some more, and I want a stiffer ride. But not kidney punching hard.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tim you have rubing issues with 1.8" drop and 225 series 17's?? i DEF would not expect that, thats one reason im going with progress rather than sportlines....but i should be OK, because with my budget, it seems ill be rolling on stock wheels for some time.. lol

Like you I am modding on a budget due to priorities. I love my focus, but unfortunately it comes in about last when it comes to my financial priorities. lol

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
I hear that. I know a couple guys thats been re-possesed because they spent it all modding and didn't pay the note, now thats just moronic.

Yeah, the Progress Springs ride better than any spring....they don't give a lot like the springs i am used to riding on, even the Eibachs' that I had in my probe....now when I ride alone, I have no rubbing issues even on potholes and dips...just when I have passengers, so I know thats because of my dampers giving too much (too soft)....

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Tein S-tech springs:$130
Steeda race, 28.6mm rear sway bar:$95 for the whole kit
H&R 24mm front bar on the rear mounting position:$120
Energy Suspension bushings all around:$90
SVT struts and shocks:$166.75
These components, along with the tires im running (which are pretty cheap tires) will show well over a full G on a meter. If you add these up, thats pretty cheap for what it will do. The Tein springs are not as high a spring rate as like the Eibach, but a softer spring doesnt mean that it wont work as well as a stiffer one. Lotus has had this thinking for years and it works VERY well. Stiffer sway bars, along with a slightly softer spring=a nice ride and great cornering. The Tein springs will lower the center of gravity but provide a decent ride. All of the members that have come by the shop here have gone for a drive with me, and everone has said the same thing, the car rides nice and corners like its on rails, lol. I have had several setups on this thing so far, and i feel that this setup is an almost perfect balance. The only limitation i feel in the car now is the tires and i need to get my torsen put in soon.

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
Sounds like a plan. You have more into the handling aspect, I just wanted to be lower with a nice ride.

I guess I just need to know if you rub, and what tire size you are running? If you think SVT springs are a lot stiffer than stock, then thats what I'll do.

·
Registered
705 Posts
eazyrider_tim said:
Sounds like a plan. You have more into the handling aspect, I just wanted to be lower with a nice ride.

I guess I just need to know if you rub, and what tire size you are running? If you think SVT springs are a lot stiffer than stock, then thats what I'll do.
If you're worried about the SVT springs being a lot stiffer than stock, don't worry. I put on just the springs and barely noticed any change in normal driving (read: no change). But the fact I'm still on stock dampers may help contribute to that.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
They are stiffer but not alot. My rims are 18x7.5 with a 40mm offset and running 215/35/18 tires and have never rubbed Tim.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts