Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the svt damper kit good for springs about an inch lower then stock svt springs? My car's stock suspension isnt ware I think it should be and it has about 65k on it. It needs replaced. I know some ppl pair up lowering spring with stock dampers all the time, but I want to do this right and am not sure if new svt ones will be up for the job or not. Also have a larger front sway bar to mate up with new suspension to. Thanks [ffrocks]

·
Registered
796 Posts
ive had svt dampers on my frpp springs for about a year and they already need replacing they are making a ton of noise and i have no money for new dampers...i read everyone that it would be fine, but to me id rather get some eibachs or something made for the drop

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, yeah thats what worried me..

and if your looking into new ones from the little i know about suspension, I have heard to stay as far away as I can from eibachs dampers. springs are good but they are not known for good dampers

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
The stock SVT shocks have proven pretty versatile and yes they are what Ford Racing recommends as a match to some of their 1.5" drop springs. This is a VERY popular combo and many FF members use it without problems. They are however in their zone when used with the SVT stock springs. As far as sway bars go, increasing the size of the front bar will only increase understeer (push). That's usually the least desirable trait for performance. Most people increase the size of the "rear" bar to make the car more neutral (less push and the ability to induce oversteer). The SVT is considered a pretty neutral handling car direct from the factory so don't get too crazy. It doesn't take much of an increase in diameter to result in significant handling impacts (possibly negative ones as well).

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to know, well The sway bar was just given to me, its a race craft I think its the same one as on the roush or saleen? Don't remember but would it be in my best interest to keep it or sell and add that $ to something worthwile like coilovers?

·
Registered
796 Posts
well let me know if u find a good damper to go with those lowering springs i really need to get something soon before i start eating tires again, ive been thinking about koni yellows or whatever it is that everyone says is good

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
tjboston5676, when you installed your FRPP springs did you use the stock shocks you had on the car or did you install a fresh/new set?

·
Registered
796 Posts
i put brand new ones, and guess what i had one fall off today cuz the bolt up top broke so i guess im replacing them this week if i can get the money and those koni str are for oe replacement i believe not designed for lowering springs,

the noise ive been hearing may of been the bolt at the top of the strut, i broke it day one lol but found a nut to get down in there and grab the threads and its held perfect but it didnt have that locking thing on it so i guess it finally loosened up which im surprised it lasted this long, but the sounds i hear sound like they come from the driver side and the one thats broke it passenger side

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
The Strt's can be used with modest drops and spring rate increases. I'm guessing the FRPP springs would fall in that catagory. The Strt is a non adjustable shock. Most say it's like a Koni Sport (which is damping adjustable) set at full soft. Soft on a Sport is still firmer than most OEM shocks.

·
Registered
796 Posts
i just want to be able to have a ride that doenst make any noise, can take corners pretty hard, and be somewhat soft over bumbs if possible

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i just want to be able to have a ride that doenst make any noise, can take corners pretty hard, and be somewhat soft over bumbs if possible
x2

I can get a deal on brand new dgr coilovers but idk how good they really are and the vender for them seems shady

also considering these
http://massivespeedsystem.com/suspension_techniques/st_coilover_kit/90310/i-132622.aspx

Any insight on which ones Would be better? I am thinking the coilover route may be best Because a decent set up will add up to just a couple hundred less. any insight?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts