Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my stock coil pack has a crack on the side of it and this is a common problem for these coil packs. i wanna know if i should go with a oem coil or aftermarket one, but are they more durable than the OEM one?

my ford dealer that i work at can get me a stock coil for 72 bucks
and idk what msd or screaming demon are going for.

what do u guys think like pros and cons

·
Registered
814 Posts
MSD is about $75 now at CFM. If you plan on keeping it mostly stock the Ford coil pack should be fine. The price you gave is pretty good. On a mostly stock motor a coil pack change is a small difference and a lot of people wouldn't even notice the change, unless the stock one was malfunctioning.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my coil is cracked no CEL on a stock tune it dosent misfire, when i put toms tune in it misfires or surges,

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
The only difference I saw between the stock coil and the MSD is a bump in fuel economy. I gained like 3 MPG.

Another thing to factor into the cost of changing to an aftermarket coil is you'll need new wires to match up to a different post style.

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
my stock coil pack has a crack on the side of it and this is a common problem for these coil packs. i wanna know if i should go with a oem coil or aftermarket one, but are they more durable than the OEM one?

my ford dealer that i work at can get me a stock coil for 72 bucks
and idk what msd or screaming demon are going for.

what do u guys think like pros and cons
Screamin Demon is terrible; don't even consider it. MSD is a good brand, but unnecessary for the Focus because it doesn't improve anything; plus you'll be stuck using only MSD wires. Stick with OEM/Motorcraft. Call Steve at Tousley Ford to see what kind of price he can get you: 1-800-328-9552

MSD is about $75 now at CFM. If you plan on keeping it mostly stock the Ford coil pack should be fine. The price you gave is pretty good. On a mostly stock motor a coil pack change is a small difference and a lot of people wouldn't even notice the change, unless the stock one was malfunctioning.
This is a blanket statement that doesn't apply to the Focus. The stock coilpack is used on plenty of high-horsepower turbo Focus motors with no problems.

The only difference I saw between the stock coil and the MSD is a bump in fuel economy. I gained like 3 MPG.

Another thing to factor into the cost of changing to an aftermarket coil is you'll need new wires to match up to a different post style.
The reason you saw a bump in MPG is because you replaced the wires at the same time, which would happen with the stock coil, too.

OEM all the way, don't waste your money!
Quality advice right here. Don't waste your money on ignition coils... the OEM one is very robust and can handle just about anything you throw at it.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
The reason you saw a bump in MPG is because you replaced the wires at the same time, which would happen with the stock coil, too.
I disagree, seeing as how I replaced a set of brand new Steeda wires (that Missourileo is running on his now) with a set of CFM wires. I actually downgraded in the wire department. However, because of the stronger spark I was able to overgap my plugs. Bigger ignition source = faster and more complete burn.

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
It's been proven that the MSD coil doesn't give a stronger spark than stock on the Focus; you'd have to search through a few years of posts, but I've seen it posted on here before. Gapping the plugs gave you better MPG then, and plenty of people do that on the stock coil too, including me (before the supercharger). I had mine at .065 with a stock coil and Taylor wires.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Personally for the extra 3 bucks I'd go for the MSD just for the fact that I have used them on other vehicles and they are fantastic (increased MPG and throttle response) so I don't think it would hurt.

I don't have them on my SVT yet but it will happen soon.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STAY AWAY FROM SCREAMIN DEMON

·
Registered
133 Posts
aftermartket coil

Ok. correct me if im wrong here. But, i think you can use the msd coil on an svt. instead of using the matching msd wires i believe you can use a set of regular zx3/zx5 wires. they have the same towers on the coil. also i cant tell you whether or not they (msd) increase the performance or not. My svt had the msd componants on it when i bought it. hope that helps you. later.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Call Steve at Tousley Ford to see what kind of price he can get you: 1-800-328-9552

This is a blanket statement that doesn't apply to the Focus. The stock coilpack is used on plenty of high-horsepower turbo Focus motors with no problems.
I didn't say the stock coil couldn't be used on high horsepower motors. You should read and understand all the posts in a thread before you go spouting off. I was just trying to help out and answer the question he asked not bash on everyone that is trying to help. I guess we don't really need a forum here . We can just send direct inquiries to Cayse , 'cuz he knows everthing.[neener]

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
Who's spouting off or bashing? Jeez.

djohn, the MSD coil has proprietary terminals, so you can only use MSD wires. At least it was back when I looked at them, which was a few years ago. Either way, you can see from Mother Focus' post that the MSD coil doesn't perform as well as the stock one.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Coil

I bought a Standard Motor Products coil from rockauto.com, I doubt you could measure any horsepower improvement using a high output coil or wires on a stock or mildly modified engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
CaysE, why do you consider Screaming Deamon bad? My SVT came with screaming deamon coil and live wires, ive never had the stock coil on. It works good for me.

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
I bought it when I first got my car and had intermittent missing issues. I swapped it out for stock and never had a problem since, even with the JRSC.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Its simply like this... You can either put a stock coil back on for $45 or a MSD for almost double or more since you HAVE to buy new wires...... and theres no performance difference between them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
So obviously some of you are, and some not. For those of you using MSD part 8241 (coil) that also requires part 32939 (wires); how many of you have it tagged up with part 62112 (ignition).

I've used msd before when I had a 92 Ford Explorer, and liked them then...

·
C2H5OH
11,868 Posts
SD and MSD both use ZX2 wires (which has been covered numerous times). Both are the exact same coils used on the SOHC 4.6.
Stock coils are rated for ~50,000 volts. MSD/SD are rated for about 55,000 volts. No real difference.

Larger plug gap = more ignition lead time = higher injector PW = higher fuel consumption but more complete combustion which can lead to less throttle and better MPG.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Its simply like this... You can either put a stock coil back on for $45 or a MSD for almost double or more since you HAVE to buy new wires...... and theres no performance difference between them.
Sorry for the major bump guys but where could I find a stock on for 45 bucks like stated here? Thanks

Also, is there a How to on changing the spark plugs and coil pack??? I looked everywhere but found no pics of it

1 - 20 of 40 Posts