Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so it would appear that the splines on my after market clutch does not match the stock unit. What this means is that I may have the old transaxle that may have cause premature wear. So, even if I get a new stock clutch in if its the older design in my car i.e. 14 spline vs. 23 then I may need a new transmission.

Now the question is do I have a:
-175cnd additonal charge for a new clutch
-addtitonal charge for a new transmission if Ford won't cover it under my powertrain warranty

Now the thing is I'd mighty pissed if they do not cover any additional cost in regards to the transmission b/c if the old clutch design no longer exsist then I have to go with a new transmission period... which would've hit me regardless down the road.

I'll keep you guys posted as I'll find out more tomorrow..

Wish me a crap load of luck

My question is how many teeth are on the center of the clutch? Clutchnet has it booked as 23.. my stocker is 14 or 17 or something like that.

anyone have any insight

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
from some second-hand info I got, the Clutchnet clutches aren't right. I haven't researched into why, but I did notice they say 23 spline.

However, the updated clutch Ford produced for the TSB fits the old transmission, so I'm thinking the Getrag unit has never changed.

I verified they used the updated part number for the clutch when they did my TSB, and they did NOT change my trans (they did let me physically see the trans while out, so I could make sure the splines weren't worn, per the TSB)

Yeah, I was kind of a jerk and insisted on seeing stuff,and probably pestered the crap out of them... but hey, I'm a service manager myself, (for a different company) and it was a rare opportunity to be the complaining customer for a change.

So anyway, long story, but I think Clutchnet is selling a ZX3 clutch, and calling it an SVT one without knowing the difference.

I could be wrong, but it seems to point that way to me, using the logic that if Ford only replaces the trans when it has damage, but does the clutch for any related noise, they must be using the same spline for their new clutches.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm.. that's good to know..

Thanks for you input. I was sorta thinking the same thing but, I know clutchnet has had one other time when selling the clutch that they had a different splined clutch. To be honest I am hoping I'll need a new trans now covered under warranty..

If any other folks have any further insight to this matter that would be great

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
You'll be just disappointed with the TSB as stock if you have an SVT and are going through the same shit as my or JGopp. Mine is acting up after only 12K miles from TSB with me smelling clutch in 6th gear on the highway.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2004SVTAutoXer said:
You'll be just disappointed with the TSB as stock if you have an SVT and are going through the same shit as my or JGopp. Mine is acting up after only 12K miles from TSB with me smelling clutch in 6th gear on the highway.
your saying y ou had your done? well, at anyrate I'd much rather have the whole tranaxle replaced and coverd under ford.. this would give me time to buy a new clutch with the money I would've normally already spent .. That is the ideal.

We'll see though

1 - 5 of 5 Posts