Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned my 2003 SVT ZX5 for 6 weeks now. When I bought it the seller said he had just had the clutch replaced and the clutch felt brand new to me. The pedal was smooth and it engaged and disengaged near the top of the pedal. So that was a selling point about the car.

About two weeks after getting the car I started to see a stain in the driveway each time I parked it. In the last month the stain has grown to 3-4 inches each time I park it. I put it in the garage which has a coated floor and wiped up a sample of the fluid and it does not smell like oil so my conclusion is the slave cylinder is leaking.

I tried to contact the previous owner to see if he could get this addressed under warranty with the shop that did the work but have not been able to raise him. I have the receipt so I called the shop yesterday and explained the situation and he indicated that neither he nor O'Reilly's will warrant the parts or work since ownership of the car has changed. At least I was able to identify which clutch they put into the car. It is this one from O'Reilly's:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search.oap?keyword=k70463-01f&year=2003&make=Ford&model=Focus&vi=1414998

They installed all the parts in this kit - flywheel, pressure plate, clutch, and slave cylinder.

The stain bugs me and I assume it may deteriorate further possibly creating other problems. So I'm probably going to break down and pay to have the transmission opened up again and get this fixed right. I have a few questions.

1. I'm wondering if I can have just the current slave cylinder replaced with a Ford factory slave unit. Are there dimensional or performance aspects to this part that won't be compatible with the PowerTorque kit from O'Reilly's?

2. The clutch does not slip at all so I'm taking that as a sign that brake fluid has not gotten on the clutch plate making reuse appropriate. Is this a safe assumption or has it not been long enough to know? I'd like to limit the costs of this if possible and the new clutch is performing fine. It also shows the shop that installed it did a decent job as long as their work is not the cause of the slave leaking.

3. Ultimately, I'm wondering if I should just have another new clutch kit (possibly a LUK kit) installed while I'm in there and eliminate all doubt.

Thanks for any advice or responses and any other pitfalls to consider.

Mike O.

·
Regulator...mount up
3,026 Posts
Are you sure its not coolant fluid coming from the bottom plug of the thermostat housing & leaking down the trans case onto the ground? A very common issue

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a sad day when I can state I'd be thrilled to find the thermostat housing to be the issue. There was no smell to the fluid when I wiped my fingers in it. That's what leads me to think it is brake fluid from the slave.

I'll take a closer look this evening.

Mike O.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I looked at the thermostat housing tonight and, while there is evidence of a small amount of seepage residue down the outside of the bell housing, I don't see where the amount I fluid I'm seeing under the car would be working its way down to the flange between the bell housing and the engine.

Any input on compatibility between the PowerTorque clutch parts and the factory slave cylinder?

Mike O.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mike,

Go with the original ford one. These cars are notorious for busting the aftermarket slave cylinders. I own a shop and last year we changed one and then test drove it all was well. When the customer came the next day to pick up his car it busted in our parking lot. Autozone paid for parts and labor to replace it and I put in a OEM Ford one and no problems since

·
Registered
658 Posts
Have you been adding brake fluid? I may have over looked it, but I didnt see any mention of that in your post. Seeing as how the slave cylinder draws fluid from the master cylinder, you should be noticing a drop in the brake fluid level, if your slave cylinder is leaking.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you been adding brake fluid? I may have over looked it, but I didnt see any mention of that in your post. Seeing as how the slave cylinder draws fluid from the master cylinder, you should be noticing a drop in the brake fluid level, if your slave cylinder is leaking.
The brake fluid level has not been changing appreciably. That had me wondering if I'm chasing the wrong thing.

So the question is, can brake fluid leak out of the slave at a rate that is not detrimental or affect the level in the reservior? In other words, can it leak slowly enough to be difficult to notice in a short period - say a month?

Mike O.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Anything is possible I believe, but if its leaking, then you would have been topping off the brake fluid, even if it was minor enough that it takes a month to notice. If it leaks, then the fluid drops, no matter what.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I was browsing through some pictures I took a few weeks back when I changed oil and gearbox fluid. The one below shows the bottom of the bell housing flange to the block. I wiped off the residue at the bottom of the flange. But I'm noticing fluid along what I believe is the transmission side of the half shaft.

The brake fluid reservoir has not dropped at all. So I'm thinking I'm leaking gearbox fluid through this half shaft seal. The puddle each time I'm parking is getting larger as of late. Tonight I'll get under it and inspect again and take a couple more pictures and post here.

Can I get confirmation that this looks like a leak at that location? If so, what is involved in fixing this? Is it a seal? Does the whole front suspension need to be pulled to get to it? If so, is this the time to replace the front struts and do any other rebuilding?

Mike O.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mike, I'm having the same issues with the revised Luk 07-175 Clutch Kit. I had a guy do the change out and it's leaking. I've researched till I'm blue in the face, but I've been told that you throw away the old seal and use Loctite 5980 on the slave cylinder instead. Did you do this to fix the issue? Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts