Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing some searching around on the board for info on the SVT clutches since I heard they've been prone to failures/premature wear. I found the TSB Ford ahd put out and have a friend who used to work for Forb that was able to pull up the records on the car I bought through Fords database.

There were a couple things replaced under warranty like the alternator, and most recently the clutch and flywheel. The just purchased the car with 28K miles on it, and according to the report I got from Ford the mileage was 25K and change when the clutch was replaced. When I bought the car I was happy to feel the clutch engagement pretty close to the floor since a girl had owned it before, and then later foudn out the clutch was only had a couple thousand miles on it.

My question is how much noise should you be able to hear? When taking off from a stop I notice a dieseling sound sometimes comign from the tranny of the revs aren't above 1000 or so before starting to move. I also noticed a little bit of noise when in neutral and that it goes away when the clutch is pushed. That noise is pretty faint, but still there and from what I've read is the sign of clutch problems. Do people continue to have problems after having the so called fix done as called out in the TSB?

The clutch seems to operate fine otherwise, but I'm wondering if I should bring it back to Ford before the warrantee runs out in Feb 07...

Also, do these 6 speed Getrag trannys typically sound sort of loud outside the car when putting it in gear? I was showing my friend the new car last night and he mentioned that it sounded loud when I was putting it in gear. It shifts fine when driving, and I don't really hear it inside the car, but I'm curious now. From what I've read these trannys feel a little clunky, but positive and that's how mine is. My wifes Mazda 3 shifts so smooth it may jsut be making the SVT look bad...

For anyone who's wondering, the car is an 03' Pitch Black SVT with the Euro package. I've had it for a day now and am loving it. I hope this clutch issue don't plague me. [rolleyes]

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
My SVT always sounded louded shifting than my wife's ZX3....typical of the SVT thought. Working at Ford, I have driven about 4 or 5 and they all shifted just like mine buying it off the showroom floor.

If you're worried about the clutch, take it in to a Ford dealer and let them look at it and see what they say.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
centers1d10t said:
Ive had the clutch TSB done twice. Finally no more noise.
I think I may need to do the same thing... How many miles has it been since it was last changed? Just wondering if this this is going to become a problem again later down the road.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Even with aftermarket stuff (CM Stg4 and CM Flywheel) my tranny is loud. Even more pronounced with the flywheel. Mine clunks loudly when I am sitting and shifting at idle, and my throwout bearing is always rattling at idle. As long as it goes easily in all 6 gears, Im fine...

·
Turbo!!!!
5,797 Posts
If you want to compare your car to mine and a couple of other svt focuses we are having a g2g sunday the 9th. I would be more than happy to let you drive my car to compare. Check the Northeast forum for the location info.

·
Turbo!!!!
5,797 Posts
^^^^^^
Scratch that. I just lost reverse in my tranny this morning

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
72K on my clutch and never a problem (thank god).....guess I got lucky thus far.....wait till the extended warranty runs out and my car blows up

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mike 1 said:
Even with aftermarket stuff (CM Stg4 and CM Flywheel) my tranny is loud. Even more pronounced with the flywheel. Mine clunks loudly when I am sitting and shifting at idle, and my throwout bearing is always rattling at idle. As long as it goes easily in all 6 gears, Im fine...
Sorry to hear about that loss of reverse... was it just a cable or something internal?

I decided to drop my new toy off at a local Ford dealer in which I personally know a few of the techs. Hopefully they get to look at it today and can tell me they're replacing everything (clutch, flywheel, tranny, etc) as called out in the TSB. I printed the TSB out off the SVTowners forum and left it on the passengers seat so they don't have to think. Just order the parts and it should be good to go.

I'm curious how it is the clutches can go bad so quickly, and why the SVT's tranny are having problems, but you don't hear about the Mini having any problems even though it uses the same transmission... Does anyone know if they use the same dual mass clutch as well? I like the idea of the dual mass clutch design, but what is it that's actually failing or causing the noise. Being an engineer and someone who's owned a variety of vehicles, this TSB makes me curious as I've never heard of such a thing on any other car.

Has anyone actually ignored the sound and had the clutch/flywheel/tranny completely fail?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got a call from the dealer a little while ago to verify that they could hear the noise, and that they were going to check the oil level in the tranny first as recommended by the TSB. Well, they just called me back and said that the oil was low, and that they put almost 2.5 quarts of oil in to fill it. [eek]

Since the tranny only uses 2.1 quarts or so, it sounds as if it was empty!!! I just bought the car a week ago and was planning on changing the oil at the 30K mark in another 1500 miles, so I didn't touch it. Figured I'd jsut take it to the dealer and have them do the TSB.

I have the history on the car, and the TSB was already doen once back in DEC 2005 and has since had almost 4000 miles put on it. I'm wondering if they didn't fill the tranny after doing the TSB before. Sure sounds like it...

Now I guess I'll just be waiting for the tranny to fail prematurely.[mad]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts