Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2003 Ford Focus SVT (Purchased from member FocusMatt) that currently has just under 60000 miles.

The issue I'm concerned about is my cluster lights. They're not broken in the sense that they don't turn on, but they shut off at random times after being on and won't turn on until later. It varies from 5 minutes just after starting the car to 20 minutes just before I park my car at work. Anyone have the same issue or any ideas as to fix it? I'm mechanically inclined, not electrically inclined.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Weird.... so the gauge faces with headlights on are just shutting of randomly? Fading out and in?

I just googled and found something on the other forum that the headlight switch might be the issue. I'll PM you the link

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Are you referring to the backlight "glow"?

Unique to the SVT, that has a separate transformer behind the dash to power the 'glow", as opposed to regular lighting for all other cars...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right, the backlight glow shuts off without warning. The only things that stay illuminated are the odometer and the stereo/clock. When turned on first thing in the morning or at night, they come on AND can be adjusted with the dimmer switch until the backglow shuts off. I'll look into the headlight switch

·
Registered
6 Posts
'03 SVT that just started do this, too. Gauge needles stay illuminated but the backlight flickers and fades out- dimmer switch doesn't have any effect.
I would appreciate knowing what you find the problem to be.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Dimmer switch is an issue for some, I'd look at that B4 replacing the transformer....

THAT "might" be quitting, kinda like a ballast for a fluorescent light that flickers, quits, and lights again....

BUT the dimmer has been the answer for folks that DON'T have the fancy lighting....

Luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the advise. I will see if I can jump the dimmer to keep lit at full brightness and see if they flicker before buying switch or transformer.
I really appreciate all the good info here!

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
The inverter lives in the small oil gauge. The best things are to do are, remove the clusters, disconnect and reconnect them to make sure that they are all seated. If that does not work, remove your grounds take a wire wheel and grind down ALL contact points to BARE metal, reconnect them and cover them with dielectric grease.

Post results.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Does anyone know the part number for a factory transformer for this, dimmer switch didnt fix it so im going to need a new one.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I think the part number is for the whole small gauge cluster, without a separate part avail. stock.

IIRC the threads showing aftermarket options to power the backlight can be found in the SVT interior section, might be one in the SVT section as well. Search those areas as at least one even had pictures to make it easier.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I had the same problem, but I just purchased a set of SVT gauges from a fellow on the forum, and installed the auxillary gauges only. Restored my lighting to normal, reliable. Guess it was around $100 that I paid. Seemed quickest and easiest.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Or, you can find inverters from places like Glowshift

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ok i see, i didnt want to hack one in there if i could avoid it but i dont think i want to buy a used cluster hoping that it will be a good part, what pickle :/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts