Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I recently bought a 2002 Ford Focus SVT with a manual transmission. The millage is around 147,000 miles. The only mods it has is a Cold Air Intake and bigger sizes rims.

With this, I've been having idling issues (most likely IAC Valve), loose AC Compressor Pulley, and worn Motor Mounts. The main issue I'm struggling to figure out is a weird, circular noise that slowly picks up speed as the rpm increases. It's only when the vehicle is in gear and begins at about 1500rpm. It increases slowly to a groaning noise at around 3000rpm. From there, the noise just stays loud until I reduce the rpm or take it out of gear.

The sound sounds like it's coming from possibly the bottom of the engine, like directly down from the center of the dashboard or even to the right of the gas pedal near the centerline of the car.

I have no idea what it is, but I'm beginning to thing it's possibly transmission issues? There's never any grinding, though sometimes going into hear takes some "umph."

Any ideas as to what I should do? I'm considering taking a microphone that I can play back through headphone, jack up the front of the car, and listen with it in first gear.

·
Grey Friar
926 Posts
Does the sound change when you depress the clutch? If so, it would be the throw-out bearing. If not, then it's something else with the clutch/PP/slave.

Do you know if it has the original clutch? At 147K it could be, and could also be very ready for replacement.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The sound only begins when in gear for some reason. I have not been able to catch it making noise when in neutral or with the clutch withdrawn. It could be definitely time for a new clutch as well, since I've caught it taking a moment sometimes when the clutch is decompressed to engage. Thanks for getting back to me! Any other ideas?

·
Grey Friar
926 Posts
Not the throw out bearing. When you say it takes some 'umph' to change gears, it sounds like a slave cylinder or master cylinder going out. Mileage is right for that to be likely also. If it's the master you might have time before you need to change the clutch, if it's the slave, then might as well do it all. If you change the master yourself, beware... bleeding air out of the line is a bitch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You think that could be causing the noise? I hear a loose noise faintly when the clutch is not engaged and when the car is just sitting out of gear.

·
Grey Friar
926 Posts
If the noise is coming from where you described, then yes, that is where the clutch is located. If it were coming from the passenger side of the engine, it could be any number of accessory pulleys or passenger shaft, if the other side then could be the driver shaft. The combinations of when the sound comes and where the sound is coming from says it is likely the clutch in some regard... your mileage supports that, especially given the mods, which says it probably was driven by a noob, who may have drove it hard and shifted poorly... just another reason to suspect the clutch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds interesting. Thanks all for your information! If there's anymore ideas, feel free to reply! I appreciate the time everyone's putting in! In turn, if I fix the problem, I'll share what it was!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts