Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my SVT a few weeks ago with 100k miles. Im very pleased with its performance and like everything about the car. The problem is when im riding through town in a 25mph zone the car wants to chug and jerk. It only occurs when I am applying just enough throttle to maintain speed. The second I start to accelerate the chugging stops and the car runs perfectly smooth. The jerking occurs at higher speeds too, but only while maintaining speed. I replaced the plugs, cleaned the throttle body, examined the intake, but nothing is fixing it. To me it feels like a problem in the air or fuel system, but I can't pinpoint it. Any ideas ?

·
Registered
179 Posts
dose the car have a tune? welcome to the site glade to see another svt owner kinda near me lol!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
im glad he asked this question my svt does it to around 25-30mph and i did a tune when i first got it. it only does it what seems like every other day.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well I'm still new to the focus crowd and hope someone else can give their 2cents! But I would guess bad spot in tps sensor or the tune!

·
Titular Wit Here
5,205 Posts
When you say examined the intake, did you check the rubber coupler hoses for cracks or loose clamps? I recall that was a somewhat common problem and the dealer replaced mine at one point. My SVT used to do a very subtle "surging" at light throttle, most noticeable in my case on the freeway.

·
Registered
133 Posts
same here!

I think i have the samne issue you guys are talking about. The mornings are the worse for me. Right now it starts on the second time cranking for a while. I think I have mine pinpointed down to a weak fuel pump.

·
Registered
497 Posts
A common source of this issue is vacuum leaks specifically at the boots. Otherwise there is a revised engine calibration from Ford to address this issue as well. I'm not sure exactly what was changed but its possible that an aftermarket tune would have the potential to do this as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I double checked the boots and I can't find any type of vaccum leak. I have heard that the tune fixes this low rpm chug most of the time, and that is the plan in the near future. But compared to some other SVT's that iv'e driven that didn't have the tune, the jerking im experiencing is way worse.

im glad he asked this question my svt does it to around 25-30mph and i did a tune when i first got it. it only does it what seems like every other day.
My problem is somewhat like this too. It seems more extreme some days than others, and is more evident when its first started.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
The SVT is notorious for a 'bog' at lower RPMs. It's especially noticeable (or was, for me) on colder days, right after starting the car. If you've done the usual (plugs, filter, etc.) and checked for vacuum leaks and the like, you may want to look into an aftermarket tune.

Ford's original tuning on the SVT is terrible, especially the earlier ones. Luckily you can flash the computer with an aftermarket tune with relative ease. Search for "Tom's tune" and you will see the light. Really, any good tune will do, but Tom is very well known and respected.

You might want to check out your o2 sensor too. Mine chugs/jerks once and a while, and I know it's a lazy o2 sensor. Seems like these cars eat o2 sensors...I'm on my second aftermarket one already.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts