Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, for a while my 04 SVT with 67,000 miles has been bucking when cold, when it warmed up it would be fine but start again if I turned the car off for any length of time. Today it got REALLY bad and the CEL came on, I got a friend with a SCT to read it and it turned out to be a P0125 (Insufficient Coolant Temperature For Closed Loop Fuel Control) I called and talked to the service manager at a ford dealer (friend of mine) and he said the thermostat is stuck open.

So my question is how hard is it to change the thermostat on a SVT? Any special tips or tricks from people that have done this before. Last question I have is can a bad thermostat really cause all this bucking??

Anyway thanks for the help in advance.

Nicole

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
yeah, thermostats are relatively easy and the part is cheap. Usually when they get stuck open it takes a long time to heat up, and driving in cold weather it could cause the engine to drop below operating temperature. Whereas closed it'll overheat and if you don't catch it kaboom or go into limp mode (if its got it)

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
i too believe its the thermostat. this time of year brings many many of threads that jump on this exact subject. and we will see them all winter long. the thermostat is honestly a 30 minute job for a novice and that includes the time it takes to empty and refill the radiator fluid.

the bucking is the nature of the beast. im assuming your on a stock tune. in the cold, the stock tune is absolute crap.

IMO, the bucking and the CEL arent as closely related as you think.

for now, you can reset the ECU by disconnecting the negative terminal for 15 minutes. this will force the car to relearn the fuel curve and calm the bucking down for a bit. but a new tune is strongly recommended for the long term.

new t-stat
new tune

hope this helps[thumb]

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info everyone!

I did the thermostat, and have driven about 70 miles since the ECU reset. For the first 40 miles it drove fine (no stumble) and now its back so I guess like Scrammer said its just the way it is.

Just to be sure though I want to give a few more details about the stutter, it feels like a bull when taking off from a dead stop sometimes (actually shakes my head). While I drive if I drive it at 2500rpm or less in any gear its stumbles if I bring it to 3000rpm it gets better but goes right back to it after I go to lower RPM.

So is all that normal? I am going to get the copper plugs from Mike and a new set of wires. I'm sure it needs it b/c as far as I know the wires are stock and the plugs are crappy A/C Delco double platinum (previous owner put them in) and a fuel filter will be done then too. After all the little stuff needed I am getting a SCT, I hope I can get it before Tom stops making them.

Thanks for the help again, I really appreciate it.

Nicole.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got another code tonight everyone... [:(]

PO301

Misfire cylinder 1, so it looks like I'm gonna have to get those plugs and wires sooner. Geeze my bank account is really feeling it since I got this car, I sure hope this gets better.

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
That sucks girl, I hope you can get it fixed before the meet.

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
Got another code tonight everyone... [:(]

PO301

Misfire cylinder 1, so it looks like I'm gonna have to get those plugs and wires sooner. Geeze my bank account is really feeling it since I got this car, I sure hope this gets better.
well hopefully the plugs and wires will cure this....it should if thats the only code you are throwing.[thumb]

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope so unless there is a timing issue or maybe a bad injector, I did some research and I'm getting the Motorcraft Copper plugs gaping them to .60 and getting the Taylor wires. This bites that it happens so close to the weekend, I hate ordering parts and having to wait to get them its even worse that its parts needed to make the car run better!![?|]

Now tell me something I know driving it with the misfire is not a good idea but could it damage my engine? Reason I ask is I have to go to work tomorrow and the regular Mon-friday so will I be killing my car to drive it only Friday, Monday, Tuesday, at about 35 miles a day?

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
just be easy with it....you should be fine just pay close attention to your oil pressure and temp as long as those stay ok i wouldent worry....and why are you gonna wait on plugs and wires....you can pick both of those up at a local auto parts store

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
I know the Taylor wires are said to be the best and the coppers are aswell supposed to be the best.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^
What Jon said.

just be easy with it....you should be fine just pay close attention to your oil pressure and temp as long as those stay ok i wouldent worry....and why are you gonna wait on plugs and wires....you can pick both of those up at a local auto parts store

All that I read said get the Taylor wires, I even read a small review by WD40 and he said that those wires and the Copper plugs are the best for the SVT.

I am going to borrow my grandparents car for tomorrow, so maybe if I get it in the mail soon enough tomorrow I might get them by Tuesday at the latest.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
i had a misfire on #2 cylinder due to a pinhole in the boot of a plug wire. they were FRPP 8.8mm wires too!

good luck girl!

it wouldnt be an SVT if you didnt have to sink money into it[thumb]

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
I talked to Mike today and I would just get stock for now, there is something in the works MUCH better than any aftermarket wires.

I'm not gonna say much about them b/c I'm not sure if he wants it in the open but go stock for now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry for the late response guys.

I (followed Eric's advice) got the stock wires and copper plugs from Mike at Hilbish, I put them on last night and have driven about 80 miles already. So far they feel so much better, its still a little shaky when cold but after it's warmed up its so smooth its like a whole new car. So far no CEL I hope it stays that way so I can drive to the meet Dec.

Scrammer, thanks for the intake scoop I'll have that on ASAP. [;)]

Thanks for all the help guys.
Nicole.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
oh thnap, i didn't realize you and Jon were on the same car. ROFL!!

no problem, i explained the install process a bit to Jon last night over the phone. any more questions, just give me a ring. sorry for the weird confusion on shipping though.

have fun!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts