Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all..

My SVT was stolen from my house a few days ago. When the police found it, it was completely wrecked. No parts were stripped from it at all, just looked like someone had taken it for a joyride off of a cliff. Currently I have no idea who, or how, it was stolen. The even crazier part is that my near-brand new civic SI AND my friend's S2K happened to be sitting outside RIGHT next to the svt. I'm still perplexed by it.

Anyways, I'm now in the market for another SVT to replace it. As fun as my SI is, I will always have a place in my heart for the svt and I need another ;) I found an egg yolk yellow one with 65k miles on it for 11.5. Prolly gonna try and talk them down a bit, at least a thousand so I can get it completely repainted (sorry to whoever has a yellow foci, but it looks odd imo).

My last svt was near stock the entire time I had it. I'm thinking of going a different route and souping this one up a bit this time around.

A few of the things I wanna change.. Redline limiter. Who has put in what to raise this to the 8000-8500 redline? My Si has made me greedy and now I need a high redline to run it to ;)

Another one is supercharging it. When I bought my first one, the salesman was raving about all the forged internals it has so no need to upgrade. However, I would feel a bit worried about running boost on a stock motor. What have you guys swapped in to withold 8-12 lbs of boost reliably?

Thanks all for any suggestions/comments.

·
CloudNine88's Man
3,465 Posts
Our engines are AWESOME. You can boost 8-12 and be reliable. They were definately well-built. Get Tom's Predator Tune. PM Tom (1TurboFocus) and ask him about his SVT tune. I believe he can set the REV Limiter to whatever you want. He can help you with ALL of your power questions.

·
CloudNine88's Man
3,465 Posts
I believe it will handle 8, but not a rev more. The SVT Tune from Tom sets the REV Limiter at 7500.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
I believe it will handle 8, but not a rev more. The SVT Tune from Tom sets the REV Limiter at 7500.
7,600 is the limit for the factory pump.
That's exactly why Tom sets the rev limiter at 7,500. [;)]

What have you guys swapped in to withold 8-12 lbs of boost reliably?
And, with that...Moved to "Forced Induction".

Bummer about the car elohel, but at least you've got a good attitude about building another one.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Our engines are AWESOME. You can boost 8-12 and be reliable. They were definately well-built. Get Tom's Predator Tune. PM Tom (1TurboFocus) and ask him about his SVT tune. I believe he can set the REV Limiter to whatever you want. He can help you with ALL of your power questions.
u can boost up to 19 and still be reliable. orange has ran up to 23psi and he was fine.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
That yellow one with 65k for 11.5 is kinda steep..i would stay in the market a bit longer for a better deal...there is one to be had and shouldnt be that hard to find compared to that yellow one.

·
Registered
82 Posts
That yellow one with 65k for 11.5 is kinda steep..i would stay in the market a bit longer for a better deal...there is one to be had and shouldnt be that hard to find compared to that yellow one.

very steep. i pick mine up 2 weeks ago for a 11.5 with 28,000 miles

·
CloudNine88's Man
3,465 Posts
Well, I payed under 14 OTD with T&L and LoJak installed, and that was from a dealer in sept. of '05.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
im running 10 and have no problems so far but im only 1k in. if u go super... go procharger... however there is a powerworks for cheap going on either here or FJ's classifieds

·
CloudNine88's Man
3,465 Posts
^^How many miles did you have when you started boosting?

·
CloudNine88's Man
3,465 Posts
Nice low miles. I was thinking about it, but got 64k

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Excellent. Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm still working on the negotiations with the dealer. The most powerful tool you have is the ability to walk away, so I'll keep doing just that until I get the price I want. They had an ION redline on the lot, that thing is definitely tempting me ;) If I hadn't had the experience of such superb handling in my last SVT I probably would've boughten that.

To raise the revlimiter to 8k, would JUSt the oil pump need to be upgraded? I'm willing to upgrade anything that could be suspicious, even if it's not required.

Thanks again for the replies.

·
CloudNine88's Man
3,465 Posts
Just tell the dealer this. . . .

As you point to your car, "I drove here in this, so I don't HAVE to buy anything."

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
To raise the revlimiter to 8k, would JUSt the oil pump need to be upgraded?
You got it...the oil pump is the weak link at 7,600.
AFAIK, the SVT valve train is good all the way to 8-8.5K.

·
CloudNine88's Man
3,465 Posts
Good to know.

·
Registered
431 Posts
You got it...the oil pump is the weak link at 7,600.
AFAIK, the SVT valve train is good all the way to 8-8.5K.
Would the oil pump qualify as an internal engine mod and bump you out of STS for autox?
I've been looking at some of the mods I was considering for my own enjoyment and realizing they aren't STS legal.
Last thing I need is to move into a class even farther outside my abilities!

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
No offense, but why would you go through the huge hassle of a complete color change? Just find a different one. If you did a half ass job it would look retarded. Also, the SVT was never optioned in egg yolk yellow, it was Screamin Yellow. A different shade, much brighter and more brilliant, maybe once you got it, it would grow on you. Good luck though. And also, a stock SVT will handle plenty of boost while staying perfectly reliable. 03orangeSVT runs 19psi on a bone stock engine. It's all in the tune.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts