Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I've red about the SVT brake conversion, and found that very interesting. I have a question: I have a 2001 SE wagon, with front discs and rear drums. I know that some Foci's, besides the SVT, came with rear discs. If I keep my stock front setup and swap the rear spindles and calipers from a non-SVT rear disc setup, is there any downside/problems I should expect? I mean, brake bias will be affected? Or stuff like that?
In other words, do a rear disc and a rear drum have the same front caliper, booster, master cylinder, etc?

And before asking, I just want to change the rear setup because I just bought mags and I find rear drums ugly as hell! Plus it will help braking, but it's not my first goal in this conversion. Thaks for the help, guys!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ford racing makes an SVT brake conversion kit that changes out all 4 to SVT discs and calipers. I think the best price I saw someone post on here was about $850. Not bad to change all 4 of your brakes to the SVT setup. It's what I'm looking at getting eventually.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know about the SVT conversion, it just don't suits my needs. If I get no other solution, I might think about a SVT conversion, but for now, I want to learn more about an AdvanceTrac swap

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bump! I've done my homeworks, I've search the forums, nothing about an AdvanceTrac or non-SVT rear disc swap info.
I've called a dealer, the guy said it shouldn't alterate brake bias, but I want to make sure. I'm rolling on 15" in summer mode and 14" in winter mode, so I'd like to find a solution other than swapping a SVT kit!

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
For starters, I don't think the SVT rears would fit under 15" wheels, let alone 14"...the stock fronts are 258mm while the SVT rears are 289mm, and the stock front brakes are a tight squeeze even under the 15" wheels.

Also, having a larger rotor in the rear will change the brake bias...if you're going to put the SVT rears in that means you'll have to upgrade the fronts at least to 300mm rotors.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
If you can find them, sure...but its not going to be easy. the AdvanceTrac-equipped Foci (ABS, traction control and 4-wheel disc brakes) were pretty rare.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked with the dealer, it's quite cheap: 110$ CAN for a spindle, and 120$ CAN for a caliper. And I can get better prices, since my stepfather works for a GM dealer, and get 20% off parts.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
How will he get 20% off Ford parts if he works at a GM dealer...?

And that's pretty expensive...$460 for the calipers and spindles, and you'll still need rotors, pads, brake lines and e-brake cables.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's 460$ CAN. And he gets 20% because a dealer that buys from another dealer do not pay the retail price. Think of it: you own a GM dealer, and buy a Ford from an auction. It needs brakes and stuff like that in order to be sell. You pay full retail when you buy those?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I guess there isn't much choice if you want to use 14" winter rims. I suspect going to the AdvanceTrak discs will make a small difference in braking bias, but nothing that would affect you in daily life. Don't expect them to make any noticable difference in your braking - a small upgrade to the rears only won't be felt since almost all braking force comes from the front.

Can it work - absolutely. Is $500 plus pads and rotors worth it for a cosmetic change - only you can say....it's your car.

Personally, I plan to do the SVT conversion and use my stock 16" rims for winter and get a set of SVT 17"s for summer.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
^^^honestly if its going to cost you that much plus you have to get pads and such, id just save alittle more and get the svt kit, since its only 860 for all four corners.

·
Registered
381 Posts
That's what I was about to post - however he has a stated requirement to use small rims that won't fit the SVT rotors. I don't even think SVT rears fit behind stock 14" wheels - never mind the fronts.

DrkKnight614 said:
^^^honestly if its going to cost you that much plus you have to get pads and such, id just save alittle more and get the svt kit, since its only 860 for all four corners.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts