Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm in the middle of doing my first brake job on my SVT focus. I'm replacing the pads and rotors on all four corners. My first question is how the hell do I get that spring on the outside of the front caliper back on??? I did, a forum seach, didn't see anything, but I'm sure someone else has had that problem.

Second problem I came across is I can't seem to compress my rear caliper piston, do I have to dis-connect the e-brake or something, that damn thing just wont go in. Do I need a special tool or something??? I'm lost, I've never seen rear brakes like these.... but I'm not a mechanic either, lol...

I have the master cylinder open with a rag over it, the e brake isn't on, ect...

Thanks for your help guys it's greatly apperciated

Attachments

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I took a few pics the other day at work, thinking I would make a pictoral for this, since it's a common question... so here's a quick run thru..

TO REMOVE
The springs PIVOT OUTWARD, so your goal is to swing the spring towards you, gently prying it over the little groove that holds it in its place.

pry the top...

then the bottom...

it should look like this, now the caliper can come off easily..

TO INSTALL
(You might notice that I have a lugnut holding the rotor in place, I find it makes it easier during brake jobs to keep the rotor in its position this way, it is just finger tight)

start with the clip the same way...

gently pry the top end over the hump while pushing the bottom end over its hump with your finger

Here is a shot of how both hands should be placed... it takes a little strength, but not a lot. watch to make sure both ends are going over..

once both ends are in place, squeeze the center of the clip towards the caliper to fully seat the clip..

Done!

EDIT... crap!, I just look at your pics and remembered the SVT doesn't have the neato swing style clip... (I see very little SVT's at work, even though I own one...lol)

ok.. I don't have pics for this, but here goes

insert ONE of the ends into the hole on the face of the caliper. Using one hand to hold that in place, pivot the clip until you can pry the end you hooked over to position.

Now 'warp' the clip a bit (not hard enough to bend it) until you can get the other 'pin' into the hole. always with ont hand holding the pins in place, pull the remaining end of the clip into place.
(stole your pic and doctored it a bit...)

It's a bit harder than the one I showed above, but you CAN do it using just your hands

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
For your second question, you need to screw the rear piston in, you can't just push it. If you notice, you will see two slots in the caliper piston face. Using these, you push the piston inward while turning. Usually clockwise, although there are exceptions to that rule. Just watch the piston to see if it is going in with the turns.

There are tools made to do this more easily, you can find a cheap 'box' looking one at any parts store that will work just fine. It's only a few dollars.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Another solution to compressing the calipers, is to crack the bleeder valve, and push it in, that way any kind of build up there may be is pushed out of the caliper, and not back in the lines.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
^^the thread starter was asking about the rears which HAVE to be turned in, but that IS helpful about the fluid contamination issue^^

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.