Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need new front brake pads on my new-to-me Focus, which has SVT stuff all around. I liked the Stoptech Street pads I had on the Miata before, but for whatever reason it looks like those are available only for the rear in the SVT fitment. The car will be seeing primarily street duty, MAYBE a trackday here or there, and less likely autocross, so I'd like something a little more aggressive than Autozone $9 specials. Rockauto has "Friction Masters" and "Powerstop" ones available, but I haven't used either personally. I also wasn't sure if the SVT pad had the same dimensions as any of the newer Foci pads ('05-07 maybe?). Any particular suggestions?

·
Registered
658 Posts
I don't think the dimensions are the same as newer focus models. The front brakes on a svt are a little under 12", and I believe the newer focus models have a standard size about 10.25.

I can't be much help as far as the pad selection as I haven't done my svt swap yet, but for the standard brakes I've had the cheapo pads from oriellys with no issues.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,213 Posts
I recommend Hawk pads, it's what a lot of SVT guys use. When I bought my SVT it had HP Plus pads on it and it stopped like a boat anchor [:D] which was fun! I since "downgraded" to their HPS pads, a little easier on the street and they stop like the HP Plus when you get a little heat in them.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
For a DD, I like using ceramic pads. Baer Matrix pads are awesome. Napa has Adapative pads which work great.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
I also wasn't sure if the SVT pad had the same dimensions as any of the newer Foci pads ('05-07 maybe?). Any particular suggestions?
They are not the same, I replaced my 07 brakes with SVT parts. I used the same brand, greenstuff pads and the front pads were not the same. I have green stuff pads on the front/rear svt brakes, I like them. They are dusty though but i like the stopping feel so its a fair trade off for me.

I dont really notice the dust or care in the winter on my black wheels but i clean my polished summer wheels much more often and always have plenty of black dust to wipe off them.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
The '05-'07 front pads are very similar to the svt ones.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For sake of having some data around here, I did a back-to-back (or backing plate-to-backing plate really) comparison between the SVT and '05 ST front pads. They are very similar in design and shape, but the amount of grinding that would be required for the ST pad to fit was more than I felt comfortable with, and may compromise backing plate integrity.

Additionally, felix, I couldn't find Baer front SVT pads as actually available anywhere.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
I have the powerstop pads front and back with the high carbon centric rotors and SS brake lines. It's a fantastic combination and feels great. I autocross and have been known to drive like a nut, good brakes are must.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
For sake of having some data around here, I did a back-to-back (or backing plate-to-backing plate really) comparison between the SVT and '05 ST front pads. They are very similar in design and shape, but the amount of grinding that would be required for the ST pad to fit was more than I felt comfortable with, and may compromise backing plate integrity.

Additionally, felix, I couldn't find Baer front SVT pads as actually available anywhere.
Baer also has the Eradi speed rotors for the svt also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts