Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to haul around my MTB but I didn't want to have to shove it in the rear. I was thinking of one of those bike racks that slides into a trailer hitch receiver but didn't know if we could attach one of those hitches to an SVT.

I would prefer this over a roof rack...unless I don't have a choice.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I bought one that clips onto the hatchback for about $100. It comes off to boot pretty easy. You just have to be careful how you put it on or you can scratch or hurt the paint if you're not thinking. I got mine at our local bike shop.

Scott

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I would get a small hitch rack, it would be hardly noticeable when the rack isnt on. May have to slightly cut the diffuser panel to fit it. Im also not a fan of roof racks, they kill your MPG and im always afraid my bike will fall off.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
You can buy a hitch from uhaul for the focus. It's rated up to 2,000 lbs.

Of course, the only thing I would use it for would be bikes.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I should be getting my Saris Bones hatch rack this weekend, I'll let you know how it works....

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
mvhudson said:
I should be getting my Saris Bones hatch rack this weekend, I'll let you know how it works....
I just sold my saris rack, bought it from a friend and it was never used. They are awesome racks but i rarely take more than 1 other person anyways so i didnt need it.

·
Registered
649 Posts
aww, you guys don't like roof racks? [:(]

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I probably won't end up riding enough to justify the expense or the riding around with a good roof rack. I was looking for a reasonably priced alternative to stuffing the bike in the back of the car...
But I do like your rack!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok cool, I just was worried that the hitch would not work with the SVT rear valence.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I got a rear carrier the attaches to the hatch for $30 from my local Walmart. It's made by BELL. It goes on and off easy. So for used it alot and had no problems with it scratching, it has big foam pads where it touches the car. The clips are coated in some rubber material. Cheap and works great!!!!

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
BlokesSVT said:
Does anyone know a hatch rack that works on the SVT?
The Wally World rack mentioned above. I just got the Saris Bones 2 rack for my hatch, looks bomb-proof and fits really well...

·
Registered
66 Posts
mvhudson said:
The Wally World rack mentioned above. I just got the Saris Bones 2 rack for my hatch, looks bomb-proof and fits really well...
Does your car have a SVT rear spoiler?
Most racks do not work on the SVT because of the rear spoiler

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
^^^hmm, you might well be right, I don't have a spoiler. I think if you got a hatch rack you'd have to custom make a set of clips for the top attachment straps...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a Sportworks hanging off of a Curt hitch on my SVT. Expensive setup but it makes me wonder why in the heck I'd been using a roof rack for the previous decade.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes, I had to cut the diffuser for the install. The car is in storage 3k miles away but if you PM me your e-mail address I will try and get pics for you as soon as possible.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts