Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I just switched over to svt from modded zx3 and my dim for the speedometer gauge is not lightning up correctly. It seems like only the needle lights work.

I can't be driving like that at night forever now...

Any help?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I had a single tach backlight go out in the zx3, except I don't see why both would already be burnt out in the svt. I heard something about svt's use a electro-something-essence.. Would this take a different part to repair? Prob just another dumb light blub, but I hate to rip the dash cluster apart for no reason.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The SVT gauge face is electro-luminescent. From what I have read, it is powered by an inverter that is incorporated into the auxiliary gauges. If you do not install that inverter, the face will not light up. You can install an aftermarket inverter, but it will take a little bit of testing and wiring experimentation.

The three bulbs in the back of the cluster are only for illumination of the needles in the SVT clusters.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have the same problem ill be very interested to see what causes this.Bump

·
Registered
3,560 Posts

my svt cluster is mising the electropanel. and those 3 lights work well without the panel in there,lol.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The electro-luminescent sheet has a limited lifetime. As it ages, it will get dimmer and dimmer. The real kicker is that the brighter you have them, the faster they will age. If the inverter shoots craps, the Electro-luminescent sheet will not light up.

KillerZETEC: That certainly is a unique look. Is it distracting at night?

The bulb placement appears to be in the same location as the standard Zetec cluster.

·
Banned
1,671 Posts
I wouldn't be able to stand that...

my gauges don't light up sometimes and it annoys me to no end but I've figured out it's something in the headlight switch because when I hit the dash below the headlight switch they usually turn on after a whack or two lol, but sometimes just turning the headlights on and off a few times works too

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine has never lit up. the car only has 61k on it. inverter huh?

anymore info on the inverter's? is there a ford part # i can replace this with?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it's working now. i think the dealership took apart my wireharness junction box that's near the drivers left foot. After I fiddled in there, taking out the factory sub wiring, now the dash glows properly, everytime.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well it's working now. i think the dealership took apart my wireharness junction box that's near the drivers left foot. After I fiddled in there, taking out the factory sub wiring, now the dash glows properly, everytime.
I have the same problem. The needles are lit, but the gauges are too dim at night to read what the needles are pointing at.

Should I fiddle around with some kind of box by the drivers left foot?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved this 2009 thread to the SVT Interior mods section.

You'll find more info. here, and maybe some in the SVT section.

Can't tell from your post if the back lighting is working at all, or if you tried the dimmer switch yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts