Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took her in last week for what I thought was a loose heat shield. Picked her up last Saturday and they said a heat shield felt loose and they fixed it. Two days ago I heard the same rattle again. I dropped her off this morning and they said it could be the pressure plates rattling together. Took another ride-along test drive and he said it most likely is but wanted to take it out with the transmission guy to make sure. On the way back from the test drive, he noticed a different rattle which he said was probably exhaust related.

My question is is the pressure plate rattle they say it is part of the TSB? I don't have any other problems with the clutch or tranny besides that. It usually makes the noise when I'm in a higher gear than I should be and it's bogging down or about to die and when in reverse. There also is a rattle occasionally when in neutral and at idle, sitting at a red light. I don't know which of the two rattles that is though. So if they call and say its the tranny and normal, should I push the TSB issue and get them to fix it? I want everything right, my factory warranty runs out in 6K miles.

Oh, and the rental I got is horrible. A damn POS base Colbalt [?|] [?|]

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
They did that 2x for me... if they are paying for it: OK!

I eventually just took off the cat heat shields cause they kept wearing out around the screw holes.
If you want to keep them, then get some clamp bands and wrap them: Tons of threads on this solution

·
Registered
351 Posts
Let me know how much that runs you unfknrl, My warranty JUST ran up and i think i'm noticing the same thing. I thought it might be the flywheel running off it's axis in higher gears, but there's DEFINATELY something that's rattling above 4-5K. I might have to do this myself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had my car sent to a dealer to have it fixed for an annoying rattle that sounded like a loose heat shield and it ended up being a broked exhaust hanger. it took them like four weeks to get the right part cuz they kept ordering the wrong one, so they just ordered them all. But, my car is currently making another rattling sound, but it sounds dirrerent, dont know what it is yet!

·
Registered
64 Posts
clutch rattle under warranty? TSB?

I am having that problem most of you have or had with that rattle when the clutch is released

in neutral. Once pressed about halfway it goes away. Does anybody know exactly what

makes this noise?? Called the dealer just to ask and gave me a list of things it could be. I've

read that some of you took it in and had the updated clutch and flywheel exchanged at no

charge or almost no charge if still under warranty. I'm still under warranty and need to know if

what ever makes that rattle is covered or not?? My clutch is slipping at 54,000. Would this be

considered "premature wear"?? I just don't want to go to a dealer and have them tell me that

its rattling cause my clutch is out and decline that TSB, thanks for any help!! [???:)]

·
Registered
64 Posts
Had that rattle as well. Dealer never found exactly what it was. Car-X found out what it was within 5 minutes. An exhaust bracket had broken. Not covered under warranty. Had it replaced and no more annoying rattles.

·
Obama Can't Gymkhana
8,569 Posts
I got a new SUV for a rental. The svt is supposed to come with an upgraded rental

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
i just got my svt back from the dealer on a rust issue and a rattle issure...the dealer here in michigan is great not only did they repaint my whole back hatch they also replaced my cat heatsheild and my header heatshield no more rattle. i guess there is a tsb out on the lower bolts of the header heatsheild breaking....

·
Registered
351 Posts
I must say, this has been a great thread. I'm sure WD knows as well as I, that there have been a million on the clutch TSB, but none that I've seen that have also spoken to so many other things it could be. This is great.
As for the clutch rattle itself, I've had mine done twice now, and it still makes the noise. As in, with the clutch out in nuetral, noise, with the clutch in nuetral, no noise. I'm pretty certain this is standard on these cars.
I am however extremely intrigued as to all of the other things. I know my car is rattling like a son of a bitch, everything from the hatch itself (bad hydraulic, plan on getting one from a junkyard), and something underneath. I'm going to look into it before the weather gets too cold. Thanks a ton, this is what the site is for.
take care all,
Ryan

·
Registered
297 Posts
I had the clutch/flywheel TSB done at 34K miles. I'm now at 67K and it's acting up bad again. My dealer has told me that, under the powertrain warranty, they'll pay for the labor if the flywheel and/or tranny is damaged as described in the TSB. I would have to foot the bill for a new clutch and flywheel, which I would get an aftermarket piece to have them put in. My question is, with it rattling as bad as it is, is there any way to visually see a bad flywheel when it is disassembled? In other words, if you had two side by side, could anybody tell you if one is bad? If not, it's almost a certainty that I'd be footing the entire bill. They acknowledge it's rattling bad, but want $480 bucks to open it up, which, if they find bad parts, would be credited back and paid by the powertrain warranty, minus the deductible. Anybody have any thoughts out there as to how proceed?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts